1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flying to Hawaii

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mahoney, May 15, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

See, now, I'm just the opposite. I want to get where I'm going as fast as possible and spend as much time relaxing there as I can. Rather than going through the stress of the airport twice (four times round trip), I'd prefer to get all the stress of flying out of the way and start my vaca ASAP.

I have a pretty long attention-span, too, so that helps on long flights. Hell, when I flew to Thailand, it was 24 hours - including a 16- or 18-hour leg from NYC to Tokyo - and I don't think I was ever bored (had a couple books, music, did some sleeping).

2. Agreed. Having done a lot of long-haul flying, I would rather just get there and not prolong things.

I think a lot of it is mental. If you just plan on being in the plan for 14-15 hours and bring along enough stuff to entertain you for even half that stretch (sleeping/eating/talking taking up the rest of the time), you'll be OK.

But sitting in coach that long is a royal bitch.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The lone time I went out there, I used miles, and went FC.

Glad I did. Don't expect to make it back.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Well, that was an unwelcome revelation. Never dawned on me you couldn't fly direct from O.C. to the Islands anymore.
    Wonder how long before some airline fills this void ... and it's a major void.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm really not looking forward to the 13-hour flight I have to take this summer. It was a little under 8 hours coming back from London and that was torture on my legs, I can't imagine what they will feel like this time.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't remember one in the terminal, but there's one right north of the runway.

7. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

I'll third the idea of flying all day. Been to Hawaii four times and I'd rather have 1-2 extra days in the most beautiful place in the world than anywhere else.

I flew from Atlanta to Maui and it actually was much better than going through Hononlulu.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Yup. It's quite the feeling, being a five-hour flight from anywhere. Works great as a tourist destination, but living there takes some adjusting.

-------------

Mahoney: If the missus absolutely, positively must stop somewhere, I'd suggest a place where you can get a Hawaiian Air flight direct to the islands. Hawaiian is the best airline I've flown, bar none, and you get free meals on flights from the mainland. Here are their non-stops:

Las Vegas, NV
    Los Angeles, CA
    Phoenix, AZ
    Portland, OR
    Sacramento, CA
    San Diego, CA
    San Francisco, CA
    San Jose, CA
    Seattle, WA

If memory serves, they also added non-stops from Oakland since Aloha Air's demise. Where are you thinking of staying, if I may ask?

9. That's the way to go. I got upgraded to FC on a flight from London, and it was so nice I didn't want to leave the plane.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I've been pretty lucky — usually I can book coach and then grab the $50 first-class upgrade at the gate. Hella cheaper than booking first class in advance.

11. $50? On what airline?

Do you just ask politely at the gate?

I used United's Economy Plus on my last long flight. Not quite like First, but much better than standard coach.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

US Airways and Delta have both done that for me and yes, I just check with the gate agent. It helps that I'm a member of both frequent-flyer programs.

Draft saved Draft deleted