1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flying to Hawaii

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mahoney, May 15, 2008.

1. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

Mrs. Mahoney and I are going to be making a journey to Hawaii in two months. We're east coasters and she doesn't want to be in the air for eight hours on a non stop from Atlanta or Chicago, so we're going to fly to the west coast, stay a day and then complete the journey.

I need suggestions - what's the best western city to fly round trip to Honolulu from - Vegas, LA, San Fran? Other possibility I've missed? Any help would be most appreciated.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Flew to Hawaii when I was 10 years old. My dad ran the Honolulu Marathon. We left at like 10 am EST and got to Hawaii about 10 pm...what's the abbreviation for Hawaii time? HST? Anyway, I nearly yakked on the flight over thanks to some awful food (haven't eaten an airplane meal since) and was a complete mess from the time change when we landed. A crying, babbling mess, even.

On the red-eye back, my dad and I were the only people on board watching Staying Alive. Man oh man, I might have been just 10 years old, but even I knew that movie sucked. Sometime during the filght my sister decided she was a terrible flyer and started yakking. She puked all over O'Hare Airport. We got home, ordered Pizza Hut and slept for 18 hours.

So to answer your question, no, I have no idea which western city you should fly into.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've been to Hawaii twice, both times through LA. Seems to be a fine option.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Your best bet for time and money is to go thru LAX.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But if you need a map of Hawaii, he's your man.

6. We are going in two months for the honeymoon....going through L.A.

Coming back through Houston, though I think we're going to make an extra night of that by catching an Astros game.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If you go through LAX, you can hit up In-N-Out, among other places.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Is there an In-N-Out in LAX? I didn't see one when I was there three years ago on the way to Kona.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Seattle the other prime possibility.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

When we went overseas all those years ago, we flew out of San Francisco and back through Los Angeles. I'd take the former without thinking.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

We went through Sky Harbor (Phoenix) when we went. It was fine. Not hard to find your way around. I think the flight from there to Honolulu was about 6 hours.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No. But they're staying for a day and there's one near LAX.

Draft saved Draft deleted