1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flying for $10

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rat fink, Dec 5, 2007.

1. rat fink

rat fink New Member

This sounds very interesting.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2007/12/03/2007-12-03_you_can_fly_skybus_for_10_bucks__but_the.html

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A coworker of mine has used this a few times, and loves it. Of course, you have to go through Columbus to get anywhere on Skybus. So it's a great deal if you have family in that part of the world. Not so much if you're trying to get anywhere else.

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Kaput: http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB120740095037892591.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

LOL!

But not for Skybus.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They had announced a cutback out of Greensboro-Winston Salem a few weeks ago when I was in town, but they insisted they were committed to PTI as a second hub. Apparently to the extent that it was about to be as screwed as Columbus and all the destinations.

I had even thought about doing a Richmond-Columbus flight, then getting something else to Seattle for the June thing. Good thing I didn't.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

so, people who are on vacation and used skybus to get there, are they just assed out? cause that's messed up.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Spirit Air runs 9 cent specials all the time.

8. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

My niece, her husband and their two infants just flew to Florida yesterday on Skybus. Best fare she could find today for a one-way return was $350 per ticket for her and her husband. Fortunately she's able to use some Southwest miles/coupons/credits from her brother and will get back OK.

Mrs. Bud and I flew to Ohio a month ago on cheap fares. Problem was we got snowed in and had to change our flights. Skybus was giving free changes for Friday and Saturday, but not Sunday, so with the fare differential and change fees, we wound up paying about what we would have to fly a conventional airline.

Saw one story that said it was the fourth airline to fold this week. Aloha, ATA, something called Champion Air and Skybus.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Cheapest Jeopardy game ever.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Damn. A good friend of mine is a pilot for SkyBus. He knew it was a risk, but he thought it was worth it ... this is really bad news.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That sucks. I remember reading a story about Skybus around Christmas and loved the idea.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you're in the service, you used to be able to fly anywhere in the world on what was called "space available" flights for $10 one way. You basically hop a ride on a cargo plane. I never took advantage of this opportunity.

Draft saved Draft deleted