1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flying drones for commercial photography

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 2, 2016.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Most companies, the military, etc., prohibit their operators from going below 500 feet above ground level.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What personnel area available to enforce that 400-foot ceiling?
    What other methods are available for enforcing it?

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

If we are going to talk about the Constitution, let's go beyond the 1st Amendment and go for the 2nd. I want my drones to have the right to BEAR ARMS!

Awesome!

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This is correct. Small UAS operators are supposed to restrict their flight activities below 500 feet and 5 miles from any airport.

5. bigpern23

Commercial operators must operate under the same restrictions as hobbyists, which includes a 400-foot ceiling (which can, of course, be violated, by hobbyists or commercial entities alike). There's no functional difference between the two.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And if pistols weren't bad enough...

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The First Amendment issue is clearly ancillary. You points are the most apt.
    There is no functional or operational difference between a business operator or hobbyist, so why the differing requirements?
    I do not understand.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. bigpern23

Agreed the First Amendment issues are ancillary, but they are interesting.

9. bigpern23

The FAA has amended its rules regarding flight of UAVs for commercial purposes, greatly reducing the burden on the pilot, while keeping some restrictions to maintain safety standards. These seem pretty fair and do not, IMO, create an unnecessary burden on commercial fliers.

The big takeaway on this is that:
    • The person actually flying a drone must be at least 16 years old and have a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating, or be directly supervised by someone with such a certificate.
    • To qualify for a remote pilot certificate, an individual must either pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center or have an existing non-student Part 61 pilot certificate.
    • The TSA will conduct a security background check of all remote pilot applications prior to issuance of a certificate.
    I'm fairly excited by this, as I've been approached quite a bit recently about my aerial photography, both for purchase and hire. I've stayed away from it because the penalties were so severe, but once the FAA gets this up and running, I'll be getting my remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating in short order. Even though I don't see a functional difference between a hobbyist and a commercial operator, these restrictions at least make sense. It's not unlike requiring taxi or limo drivers to get a CDL or a T&LC license before operating their cab or limo legally. I think the FAA actually got this one right.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf
    Press Release – DOT and FAA Finalize Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Lugnuts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted