1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flyers player taken to hospital after shot to groin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

All it takes is for the cup to be out of position a little bit, and if you take a direct hit, your nut can get caught between the cup and your leg.

I hope dude is OK.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was thinking happened when I read the story. And I crossed my legs at the thought.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ask Carlton Fisk.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think there's an error in the story. The shot was by Mike Green, just saw the replay again, who then turned around to score while Thoreson was writhing in agony.

Ovechkin and Green cycled round to the right after the initial shot, putting Ovechkin at the left point, which may have led the writer to think it was Ovechkin with the initial shot.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

More than likely that was the case. Happened to me in midget hockey, but it wasn't with an NHL calibre slapshot and is likely the reason I still have both giggle berries. But my God did it ever hurt. spent the night on the couch with a strategically placed bag of peas. More unwanted swelling than I care to remember.
    Also a direct shot to a properly placed cup doesn't exactly tickle either. it was a tough life living in front of the net screening the goalie.

My condolences go out to Thoresen.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Even with a goalie cup you know when you get hit. Hope he's OK.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

After the first Riddick Bowe/Andrew Golota fight, somebody in Main Event's office had an intern put on one of those foul-proof cups and hit it with a baseball bat to demonstrate that Bowe was faking and it couldn't have hurt that much.
    A friend of mine who is a boxer pointed out that in a fight, you're never hit flush there, like the guy hit the intern with the bat. It's always an upward punch, which does indeed hurt, he said.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I find it very amusing that someone commenting on this thread is named smallpotatoes.

Yes, I'll get my coat, I'm headed to hell.

9. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

Too bad it didn't happen to that assclown Downie instead ...

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As much as I can't stand Downie, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

11. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

'Ok kid, you want a job here, right? Here's the deal: you flinch and that goes out the window. Got it? Ok, put on the cup, I'll get the bat. C'mon, they're waiting.'

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

You're really an incredible asshole.
    Are you this big a homer in print?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.