1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fly Down Etiquette

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by taller hack, Jun 9, 2009.

1. taller hack

taller hack Member

I was at a BBQ Sunday evening, and I happened to notice that a female at the party had her fly down, and I didn't say a damn thing for fear of being slapped. I thought of SJ immediately as the perfect place to discuss this. If it was a guy, would you always tell him? Do you ever say anything to a woman under any circumstances?

2. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

As a woman, I'd have an easier time discreetly telling another woman than I would any guy except maybe my husband, dad and brother-in-law. But I'm thinking odds are I'd take the silent route, too.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Maybe she was advertising. Sounds like you missed a golden opportunity....

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

th, you ask another woman at the party to tell her. Ideally, her cute friend.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

A very casual 'Dude, your fly's down' would actually suffice.. If you're not comfortable saying Dude to a woman, an 'Excuse me, I don't want to be rude, but your fly is down,' works. Just DON"T hook that sentence up with any attempt at hitting on her. Because then you're a creep. And yeah, if you really can't, tell a woman you know and have her deliver the message.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Bang a spoon on a cast-iron pot and yell 'Come and get it!'

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'd probably just whisper, "Kitty's gonna get out of the barn."

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

This doesn't have to be complicated. Pull him or her aside and tell them. I'm 100% positive they will be grateful that someone did.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Better keep that kudzu contained.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Fine answer.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"Wow. I didn't know women went commando any more. Nice to meet YOU!"

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If you don't know the woman, you can't tell her. Find someone you know who knows her, and everybody involved will be less uncomfortable, with the same end result.

Draft saved Draft deleted