1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs. Canelo Alvarez (running thread)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oscar Gamble, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Ross was one of the judges who messed up Pacquaio/Bradley.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

What a joke. When will they make judges' scorecards public after each round? My guess is never. When you don't know the score you know it's a fucking joke of a sport.

3. Smallpotatoes

It's been tried before, in 1986, in a fight between Johnny Bumpus and Marlon Starling. Bumpus was cut by a head butt early in the fight and because his corner knew he was ahead, they didn't bother fixing the cut. The fight was stopped and Bumpus won a technical decision.
    To be honest, I think one of the strengths of the current system is that none of the judges knows how the other two is scoring the fight. If they knew that their scorecard differed from the other two, they'd feel compelled to start making up for it in the later rounds.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If only Mayweather would have punched out Biebs.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It goes back even further than that. I have the SI that covered the Ali-Shavers fight and the judges round-by-round scores were being shown on NBC (I believe they showed the fight live) and Ali's camp had somebody stationed in front of a TV in the dressing room relaying the scores after every round.

6. Smallpotatoes

Every time somebody asks "why don't they have open scoring?" They always seem to be under the impression that it's never been done.
    Currently, the WBC makes the scores known to each corner after every four rounds, though that's not done in some U.S. states.

Draft saved Draft deleted