1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Floyd Landis finally admits to PEDs...for most of his career

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 20, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Suspicion is fair. It comes with being an athlete at this time. But to assume he is guilty because those around him were cheating? No, that's not appropriate. Not at all.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Coke - and I don't mean cola - had more to do with Marco Pantani's death than EPO.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Gotta give Landis some credit for coming clean, finally.
    Pete Rose should check out the approach and he'd be in the Hall by 2015.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How much blood can you draw at a time? And how often can you do it?

They must have constantly been having blood drawn.

Not saying I don't believe it, just amazed at the lengths these guys go to.

And as much as I want Lance to be clean, I have to agree that it would be nearly impossible for him to dominate for so long against other world class athletes who were almost all cheating.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I have a hard time believing that Armstrong's actions for charity were entirely, well, charitable. Guy like that doesn't do anything without considering its effect on his image, and I have no doubt that was his primary motivator.

Of course, that doesn't make the millions he's raised any less valuable. As long as the checks clear, I don't particularly care why he does it. But to act as though he's some kind of saint does appear to be pushing it.

But as was said earlier on, they could extract all my blood, take it into outer space and infuse it with alien gamma rays. I still wouldn't be able to ride a bicycle at speed through the Alps.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Armstrong tweeted his attorney is getting ready to release some e-mails. I assume from Landis, likely borderline blackmailish in nature.

7. No. None.
    Yeah's he's coming clean - kind of - by telling everyone what we've known for years. And in doing so, he's trying to drag others down with him. Without proof.
    Hell yeah I think Armstrong is dirty and doped. But can I or anyone else, especially Landis, prove it?
    No? Then STFU Floyd Landis.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.livestrong.com/teamradioshack/news_statement-from-counsel-team-radioshack-regarding-landis-allegations/

http://www.livestrong.com/teamradioshack/news_series-emails-referenced-statement-regarding-doping-allegations/

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They all use PEDs.

No one cares.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Those e-mails don't necessarily make Landis look bad, although his sponsor/doctor comes off as an idiot. It sounds like Armstrong responded with threats (by phone) and trying some smear tactics, and Landis' feelings got hurt. He sounds more defensive to me (he keeps bringing up Armstrong calling him an alcoholic and mentally unstable) than he does like he is issuing threats. It's also obvious that this whole thing happened because Landis wanted into the Tour of California, they wouldn't let him in, and Landis and his sponsor tried everything they could to get them to let him in, including subtly threatening to expose Armstrong. As much as that does or doesn't call Landis' credibility into question, the bigger question is why is Armstrong responding repeatedly if there is no truth to it? One, "You know that isn't true, Floyd. If you slander me, you'll hear from my attorney" suffices. Why are they indulging the dance, and why is Armstrong personally calling that Dr./Sponsor back several times and making threats and threatening to smear Landis? They'd have been better off keeping that stuff private. Those kinds of tactics take you only so far and often backfire in a PR war.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

-If that were the case, this thread wouldn't have too many posts, would it?

-If you really believe that, you're insane. And if you're here to whiz all over this thread, there's a urinal somewhere else you can use.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it's closer to true than not.

Draft saved Draft deleted