1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Floyd Landis finally admits to PEDs...for most of his career

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 20, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My thoughts on Armstrong:

--It's not out of the realm for him to be truly that much better than anyone else.
    --I truly think he's passed all the drug tests he's been given.
    --I would also not be surprised if it's found he had cutting-edge chemical therapy that tests can't yet flag

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Dooley, that's the whole nut: passing the tests can just mean you knew how to beat the tests. It doesn't mean you were clean. The doping science is so far ahead of the testing science it's laughable.

You're talking about people who allegedly removed and stored liters of their own blood to be transfused back into their bodies to mask drug use. Scary people doing crazy stuff. And it works.

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

Armstrong may have passed the tests, but I'd love to know for how many things he was allowed "therapeudic use."

It's the biggest loophole ever.

4. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I think the big question here is which sport is dirtier, cycling or bodybuilding?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would say the biggest question is, are there any sports that aren't dirty.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It seems these days that when it comes to PED use, almost every time someone is rumored to have used something, it turns out to be true. I would love to think that Armstrong could come back from cancer and kick everyone's ass and dominate a sport for the better part of a decade, but I find it very hard to believe that he did it without breaking some of the rules, especially in a sport where a decent percentage of the participants cheat on some level.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And just hours after the allegations, Armstrong crashes in the Tour of California and withdraws from the race.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

My ears perked up when I heard Armstrong's response to Landis today.

Who in the hell is "ours"? His people? Everyone who loves Lance? Who is this "ours" that he's referring to.

The more I hear Armstrong's name being tossed for doping, the more I wouldn't be surprised if he did. The French, Landis, LeMond, and a few others thinks Lance has done it for a while or at some point during his Tour de France winning streak.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You really take the French vendetta against Armstrong as evidence against him? Seriously?

If anything, that is evidence against him using, because so many people in France have been trying so hard to bust him for so long.

The only bigger joke is the conspiracy theory crap about SI having the goods on Armstrong, but Reilly got the story killed. What a load of ridiculous crap. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised given who posted it.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Cmon OOP, it's one of the dirtiest sports on the planet, yet the man who dominated it is the only man who is clean?

I agree with you on the SI story being squashed, that seems ridiculous to me.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not saying Armstrong is clean. Not at all. If I had to guess, my guess would probably be the same as yours. But that's where my problem comes into this. We're only guessing.

This idea that he has somehow gotten a pass is ridiculous. Plenty of people have been trying to nail him for it. Nobody has been able to catch him.

And no offense, but I hate the argument that he must have cheated because he was so dominant in a sport full of cheats. At best, it is extremely unfair to assume he cheated just because he was so good.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The sport is rife with EPO, testosterone use and blood transfusions to boost red blood cell capacity. During Armstrong's reign, there was a rash of deaths in the sport caused by EPO use, including Marco Pantini, who was as dominant a climber as the sport had. It's fair to guess that Armstrong used because he was so dominant. The whole sport is rife with drug use and has been for decades. He'd the be exception, if he was able to even just compete at that level without cheating, let alone dominate. And the drugs and transfusion therapies of choice are also very difficult to detect. There's no proof that Armstrong cheated, but any suspicion people have is natural given that its cycling we're talking about. You can't name too many sports in which the athletes shouldn't be above suspicion anymore. But cycling? The drugs are as much a part of competing as the shifters and derailleurs are.

Draft saved Draft deleted