1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Floyd Landis finally admits to PEDs...for most of his career

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 20, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many times did Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, and Jason Giambi fail drug tests?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I assume he was being sarcastic.

3. Mizzougrad96

I would hope so, but I'm not so sure...

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

neither am I anymore

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I'm in the camp that thinks Armstrong was cheating all along too, but is smart enough to figure out how to keep beating the system.

I think he's a world-class d-bag or the highest order, despite his charitable ways.

I don't get how anybody out there right now could be surprised if it comes out that Armstrong was doing this. I don't udnerstand how anyone could think that all these other fools who have tested positive aren't able to beat Lance if he wasn't doing it too. That was my point.

If he gets his come-uppance, who goes down as the bigger fraud? Lance or Tiger?

6. Mizzougrad96

Agree 100 percent across the board.

If true, Lance is a much bigger fraud than Tiger. But it will never be proven because nobody seems to be interested in pursuing the story.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A world-class d-bag of the highest order doesn't spend that much time raising funds to fight cancer. He might be (hell, probably was) a cheat on the bicycle, but he's done a ton of good things off it.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm surprised to see him implicate Zabriskie.

I interviewed DZ at a charity event shortly after Landis was stripped of the TdF title. DZ and Landis were at the time practically brothers and best friends. Zabriskie acted like he had just found out his brother had robbed him of every penny while he wasn't looking. DZ seemed genuinely hurt, betrayed and disappointed.

Based on that reaction and subsequent chats I've had with him, I would be very surprised if it's true that Zabriskie has doped.

Then again, in this sport and at that level, I think the pressure to perform does some really screwy things with otherwise honest people's heads.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If Landis is lying, they all should sue.

10. Mizzougrad96

Armstrong is a well-known womanizer who cheated on his wife constantly. They trotted out his wife and kids at one of the Tour wins when it was known they'd been separated for months. He left Sheryl Crow shortly after she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I read an interview of hers where she basically said he told her as much.

He does more charity work than probably any other athlete and he should be applauded for that, but that shouldn't give him the free pass that he seems to have.

I think the reason Tiger thought he could get away with what he did is that he thought he was at the same level as Jordan and Armstrong where they get a complete free pass from the media. Granted, Jordan was never accused of juicing.

11. Mizzougrad96

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess he's safe.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Here's the thing: If Landis just comes out and talks about himself, everyone just says "yeah, yeah, we knew it all along, you big liar." Fingering Armstrong is a way to get attention and deflect some of the spotlight off your own misdeeds. Armstrong is the one yet to be caught and there are plenty of people in the cycling world licking their lips to bring him down.

Draft saved Draft deleted