1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florio Lectures Rodgers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BadgerBeer, Jan 18, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice facial by Doyel

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have a collection of autographed baseballs from some of my favorite players of my youth.

I always ask the player to personalize it so he is aware that I am not selling it.

More than a few have given me a quizzical look and said it would not be worth as much. I tell them it's not about the money but its about the fond memories they gave me in my youth - priceless.

My favorite baseball - Bob Feller - played before I was born but what a treasure to meet him.

3. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Can't remember who it was that told me this story but it was an NFL player who always signed for fans after training camp practices. He said there was "a rule of 100." You sign for 100 people and head for the locker room and the 101st tells everyone what a jerk you are for not signing. Thought Florio went way over the top. This is what happens when "reporters" stop "reporting" and start "guessing" what happened.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

And making their own conclusions before finding out about "the rest of the story."

I don't have a major hangup with adults asking for autographs, as long as they act like adults, and not like screaming pentulant kids. Personally, I don't like asking for autographs. It makes me feel uncomfortable, and secondly if I see them outside of their workplace (store, bar, etc.), I don't bother them.

The only exception is that if a friend or a pal knows them personally and introduces us, I'll be happy to get a handshake and tell them it's a pleasure meeting them. Beyond that, if he wants to chat me up, I'm cool with that.

As far as Florio, I'll give him credit for writing that apology and mea culpa. He didn't have to do it at all.

Gregg Doyel, you are still my hero.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not many anymore. It's all for the memorabilia market.

Well, he did if he didn't want to look like an absolute knob -- only about an 85% knob.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

He pretty much had to after he wrote that second post after the initial column, and was proven completely off-base when the woman went on camera and he finally looked into the details surrounding it. He didn't just have an egg on his face, he had a couple dozen.

And I'm still not buying that NBC didn't make an influential suggestion to him to make an apology.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He made a huge ass of himself.

This is just as big a gaffe as when they pronounced Terry Bradshaw dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted