1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida's Sharrif Floyd adopted by family that gave him benefits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Nov 13, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/13/florida-gators-sharrif-floyd-adoption-ncaa-kevin-lahn/1702147/?kjnd=KcMqXN9aQl3k1ij55yIDdNJzXBfuOI6R%2FTkKpRXFAThg%2FYQ3tpwuzLOiNArlqtEf-92eef8d8-a88b-423f-b54c-7f588956614c_T6VR2ijnS0DKNh6FY3kC5i8eBFSUdBH3NZ2ePcDmaYwoLALXo35azVTMuXXsEXL5

Didn't see this anywhere else.

Fascinating story, really. I wish the writer has discussed more about the reasons why families would adopt after a person had reached 18 years old. It was mentioned, but not discussed much, and that was my main question.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Adoption after age 18 should be specifically excluded by the NCAA as a means of evading improper-benefits charges.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Definitely not the case here:

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wish people would stop comparing this to the Michael Oher situation. He was a minor and had high school yet to finish when the Tuohy family took him in.

If adopting a 20-year-old isn't a blatant attempt to end run the NCAA, then it's slightly creepy.

Draft saved Draft deleted