1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida travel question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice and info. Hoping to golf some, but I’m the only golfer in our group ... so might just be escaping to a course or two using the club’s available at our rental.

Good to know about the FMB spots. We’ll be able to optimize our time between the house pool and beach. Thinking about renting a boat for a day or two since we have a slip, and definitely renting a couple paddle boards and kayaks for the canal.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the replies. My parents ended up choosing Fort Lauderdale, but largely because the resort they could have booked near Naples wasn't available (again, they were switching from Hawaii).

The islands and attractions people mentioned in southwest Florida sound good to me ... especially the chance to see some marine wildlife. Maybe some winter I'll be able to go there.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Coco, marine wildlife is cool all year round, with manatees everywhere in the winter months (looking for warm water) and dolphins/porpoises pretty much year-round off the beaches. One state park in Naples -- Delnor-Wiggins -- gets porpoises practically up to the water's edge.

rb

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Renting a boat is a day thing, as there are several marinas on FMB that allow you to rent hourly/daily. Basically roll up, pay and they give you the keys. It is a pretty sweet deal to just tool around.

rb

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

An update:
    I'm typing this in our Fort Lauderdale hotel. Arrived Saturday night and battled crazy Memorial Day weekend crowds at the beach. Worth it, though ... the ocean is warm, sand is powder soft and views are amazing.
    Traffic is as crazy as advertised in Fort Lauderdale, then we took our young adult kids to Miami Beach today, and the traffic kicked up to another level. But it's easier to be chill behind the wheel when you're on vacation.
    Most importantly, my parents are having a good time with their kids and grandkids. My mom really enjoyed the Carrie B. cruise, gawking at the homes and yachts of the super rich, and the Las Olas Boulevard shops. My dad enjoyed golf at Emerald Hills in Hollywood ... until a huge downpour and thunderstorm chased us indoors on the 13th hole.
    Thanks again for all the ,travel advice. It's a good week to sweat in South Florida!

Draft saved Draft deleted