1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Times-Union colunmnist

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by OrangeGrad, Aug 30, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Actually, I wasn't thinking so much of you, Ace, as people who keep coming on here -- many of whom have probably never been there -- and keep ripping the city with all seriousness.

2. boots

boots New Member

Becoming a columnist anywhere is a big step. Jacksoville the city is not great. The Florida Times-Union is not great. But those are my opinions. However I also know how precious it is to have a job. It's a rough time in the business and not getting much better. I would strongly suggest that those interested in the job contact Mike Freeman or Greg Larsen or even David Lamm for that matter. All three have been at the top of the T-U food chain and I'm sure they will tell you that it's not a great place to be. Then make a decision, apply or not apply, and good luck.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Look, I hate Jacksonville as much as anybody, but anyone who thinks this isn't a great job is insane...

4. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Say what you want about cutbacks or cheapness. But isn't the columnist the least affected? How many columnist actually feel these changes? I would guess few. They still travel and stay in nice hotels.
    More likely, it's the small college guy who doesn't get to travel to the conference tournament or the local golf guy who doesn't get sidebar help for the random tournament. Am I wrong? This is still a great job.

5. powerplay

powerplay Member

Anybody hear anything on this?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Howard Johnson's is a nice hotel?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The right buttcheek of Florida is anyplace in the Panhandle that's not either beachfront or Tallahassee.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

So if you don't get this job, send your stuff to Pensacola and turn the other cheek? And does that make I-75 the crack of Florida's ass?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No need to get cheeky, lads.

But if Jacksonville is the right buttcheek, that would make Panhandle towns the urinary tract, I'm thinkin.'

10. powerplay

powerplay Member

So I'm guessing this means nobody has heard anything, being that we are now comparing the physical geography of Florida to the human anatomy.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Instead of PTI, we have UTI. Or, PTUTI. There's almost no way to continue this thread and have Orlando come out of it looking good.

12. Ohiowriter

Ohiowriter Member

Tom Reed was offered the job and turned it down once his was saved in Akron. Still looking, I'd presume.

Draft saved Draft deleted