1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Times-Union colunmnist

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by OrangeGrad, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hey, I'm trying to behave... :)

I actually started a thread a few months back about how I picked up a copy of the TU that I found in another airport and I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw. Granted, it was Masters week, but their coverage was impressive... Of course it was also a section without a Frenette column...

2. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Hopefully they're smart enough to offer the job to Tom Reed.

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Mizzougrad---what's your beef with Frenette? I happen to think he's a solid columnist and interesting to read. Better than your hotshots, your "up and comers," who are creative at plagiarizing somebody else's work but doing just enough to get by without legal problem, or writing a good column one day and a piece of crap two days later. But if that's your cup of tea, whatever.

By the way, I suppose you think being a mizzou grad---assuming you are one---somehow makes you God's gift to journalism. Now that's good for a laugh. Most Mizzou grads I've met or read are living off a reputation of how great a journalism school Mizzou has, and that reputation is so '70s and '80s. What journalism program you come out of no longer means squat. Some of your best writers out there today went to Podunk U. and might not have gotten where they are had they instead graduated Mizzou with their nose stuck up in the air and living off of alumni connections.

By the way, when you write your next great column, please post a copy here. Seriously. I can't wait to read it and feel the chills up and down my spine.

4. Mizzougrad96

Well, it's good to see that Frenette has found a fan... ::)

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I will agree with the suckiness of Jacksonville though. However they have some of the most defensive residents on earth.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

clutch is great at over-the-top satire. bravo.

7. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Akron is working every imagineable angle to get Tom Reed back within a month. They won't lose him to Jacksonville. Tom's an Ohioan.

8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

So are 90 percent of the people who live in Florida.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I didn't think they were allowed to live that far away from Ohio Stadium ... or is it OK just to pray in its general direction?

And nobody is as bad as Mizzou makes Frenette sound. The guy falls into the 90 percent just like most of us. There's 5 percent on either side who are either brilliant or suck ass so badly that it's a huge success when they wipe their own asses without messing it up. Then there's the other 90 percent.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That is so tired, Rasputin. How about this?

Welcome, Person-Who-Wants-Tom-Reed's-Old-Job

11. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

I did laugh at this, but it's not that funny since Reed and 39 others were laid off. They won't hire for his position.

Reed is interviewing here though.

12. Mizzougrad96

This job has already been turned down once... It was by a very, very big name veteran writer...

Draft saved Draft deleted