1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FLORIDA STRAW POLL POSTGAME: I am now a Herman Cain fan.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Do you think he's Abel to win?

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Great bumper sticker possibilities -- "Cain vs. Unable"

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I'm not voting at all, but if I was it would be Huntsman or Paul. The GOP will ride Perry and Romney though. People prefer "hope" and "change" and stupid ideologies over intelligence (Huntsman) and common sense (Paul).

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

One thing about these straw polls is they tend to bring out the base. Cain plays *really* well with the GOP base, and Rush Limbaugh (who is probably *the* kingmaker among the GOP base) loves him.

By the time the primary gets around to my state, it's almost always decided, so I never really feel like I have much of a say in these nominating horse races. But if I did, I'd probably be voting for Ron Paul right now. But Cain has at least raised my eyebrows, a whole lot more than most of the other candidates. This election feels a lot like 1992 -- a lot of the heavyweights on the GOP side either sitting it out thinking the prez will be tough to beat, even though he's pretty vulnerable, or waiting their turn (I'm fully convinced another GOP darling Mike Pence is coming back to IN to run for governor to get the exec experience to toss his hat in the ring in '16 or '20).

I'm also pretty well convinced that Mitch Daniels would be a slam dunk nominee if he'd have decided to run. I'm not the guy's biggest fan, but he is beloved by the establishment (he was a National Review cover boy not too long ago) and his union-busting (one of the first things he did in office was suspend state employees' collective bargaining rights) and his charter/voucher school credentials play really well with the Tea Party crowd.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

She should have run for governor of Wisconsin.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cain won't win one of the first four primary states. So he can't win.
    He still hasn't received the standard "media scrub" that most serious contenders get, hasn't even been attacked by the other candidates - if he's still around after both happen, then maybe I'll start paying attention.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Cain is allowed to hang around in the GOP race for one reason:

He can use "the word" none of the rest of them can.

Once the door is kicked open, once the taboo is broken, everybody else can follow, and they will all be set free.

Once he fulfills that purpose, Herman will be sent back in the kitchen with the rest.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It's September 2011. What difference does any of this matter?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You're pissing into the wind. You're right, of course, but you'll be ignored.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I know I'm to the left of you, but I'm way too independent to put up with any party's insulting spin and talking point emails. I think in this case, 37% of an establishment vote can be a protest vote. Do you really think Cain would get that many votes if the primary were held over the weekend? And I'm a guy who finds him the most likeable in the race. Heck, I even plan on going to see him speak in a few weeks.

But the politics of politics would crush Cain and I think most people realize it. The merits of his ideas aside, he's not nearly experienced enough on the politics side to get much done.

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Romney is probably even less popular in MA than Christie is in NJ. Yet Romney would probably be favored to beat Obama in the general election at this point.

Republican candidates don't need MA or NJ to win the Presidency. Romney decided not to run for re-election in '06 because he wanted to reposition himself to run for the Presidency from the GOP. And if Christie gets in, he'll probably declare that he isn't running for re-election in NJ in 2013, because he'd know he'd be toast there.

It doesn't matter. Why should Romney or (if he gets in) Christie care how popular they are in their home states? They don't need those states to win.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not to mention 9-9-9 . . . just another restatement of the kind of regressive tax policy which makes the Koches drool . . . and provokes the undecideds to run far, far away.

DOA.

Draft saved Draft deleted