1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida State Fan Goes over the line

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OklahomaSports, Sep 14, 2011.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The fanbois on the message boards are the lunatic fringe and nothing more. The people you recommend catering to barely make a dent in circulation figures or hits. They have a massive hard-on for the "MSM" to begin with, and pandering to them over stories like this isn't going to alter that one tiny bit. It'll be on to the next thing.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Deadly serious. He had a seven-letter word that started with an f, ended with a t and had five dashes in between. I'm a dash and ***, well, Na*i. The -'s and *'s need to represent exactly the number of missing letters. You let that slide and everything else follows.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yeah, can't say I'm buying that BS. There's no meaningful expectation that stories be written about specific internet trash talk postings by random unknown douchebags, regardless of degree of offensiveness. If there was we'd be bombarded with an ungodly number of these stories each week. Because, lord knows, there's a bottomless well of material to draw from there.

The earlier poster nailed it by pointing out that this was the OU student paper. The Daily Bugle doesn't write this story, the OU Daily Fanboi does. It wasn't done by a credible professional journalist, but instead by some kid desperate for a column topic that would rile up locals like the fella who started this thread.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And this is a classic case of ignoring the arrival of social media. It's not fringe material. It's in the mainstream.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The fact that something uninteresting happened on social media doesn't make it any less uninteresting.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No, it is NOT ignoring the SM. That's just nonsense. It is realistically recognizing which events in today's social media do and do not constitute a legitimate news story. And I'd say it reflects a better understanding of today's social media than your position.

You do, of course, realize how insanely many potentially offensive posts and tweets occur in the SM on a daily basis? Obviously they ain't all newsworthy. If these words could be attributed to an FSU player or coach, you've got a big time story. But if its just some random internet douche on the fanboi lunatic fringe who might be an actual FSU fan, or for all we know might just be some troll pretending to be one, you've got nothing worth writing about. Hell, there'd be little time to write about anything else if we ever did start treating that crap like real news.

8. jr/shotglass

OK. I see your point.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does this mean some college kid is going to do a story about the mean things we say about <insert college here>?

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Maybe, but I'm sure the players will handle it admirably and be extra motivated because of it.

Hey, anyone want to read my Bleacher Report post? It's about how Derek Jeter may be the most underrated player in sports because the media reports dumb things like Madonna instead of his relevant-year stats. Check it out!

11. jr/shotglass

Doesn't anyone respect the blue font anymore? ;)

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Good luck covering the Someone Said Something Outrageous Using Social Media beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted