1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida State Fan Goes over the line

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OklahomaSports, Sep 14, 2011.

1. OklahomaSports

OklahomaSports New Member

http://www.oudaily.com/news/2011/sep/13/ou-versus-florida-state-matchup-not-about--field-t/

This guy just poked the bear. If there is one topic that you don't talk about in Oklahoma, its the OKC bombing. Totally 100% off limits. On top of that, this guy is making fun of the late Austin Box, among other things.

As the author of the article above states, the Oklahoma players handled this admirably.

Looking forward to watching the game instead of all this nonsense.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why in the mother fracking hell would somebody do a story on what some random idiot says on Twitter?

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

LTL - I agree, this story is idiotic. Who gives a fuck what idiots say - if you don't like it, block them and move on with your life. Why is this a fucking story? What a joke.

4. OklahomaSports

This is actually becoming much bigger than that. FSU has formally apologized and has vowed to take disciplinary action on the student who is responsible. I wouldn't be suprised if you heard more about this on ESPN in the days leading up to the game.

I guess I forgot where I was posting. You have to put yourself in the shoes of someone who has been effected by the OKC Bombing and the death of Austin Box to understand why this is a big deal.

5. LongTimeListener

You could put me in Bozo's or Glen Rice's shoes and they would never be big enough for me to understand why an anonymous Twitter account would cause outrage in two states.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I doubt this will have any affect on the game. Any Oklahoma player with an IQ higher than his 40 speed will know it was just one more drunk, idiotic, classless college football fan. They've got them in Tallahassee, Gainesville, Columbus, Baton Rogue, Austin and Tuscaloosa. And they've got them in Norman.

7. OklahomaSports

Did you read what he said? Has anyone ever told you they hoped someone would make a cage out of your sisters bones? I sincerely hope not, but that's why this is a big deal.

8. LongTimeListener

People have emailed me with all sorts of vile hateful things. My favorite was the guy who wanted me dead of cancer in two years. I deleted and moved on.

9. OklahomaSports

That sucks and that's horrible. But I'd bet you weren't 22 when that happened and I bet no one was talking trash about one of your best friends who just tragically past away. And I bet no one was poking fun at the second largest act of terrorism (biggest at the time) in our countries history. Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here, but as an Oklahoman, this was over the line. And as for the game, players are already saying that this will be in the back of their mind. If anything it's just more motivation whether people outside of the state like it or not.

10. LongTimeListener

I gather that you were the one who wrote the article. I remember one time having that kind of passion about this business, so I understand you from that standpoint. But players, if you put a microphone in front of them, will always say "sure we'll use it as motivation" when that's never the case.

Again, though, you have to look at the medium here. Some random idiot posted something stupid on Twitter.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Right, because I am sure no Oklahoma fan has ever crossed the line with regards to Texas players or coaches.....

So what is the story here? Some fans are infantile assholes? Give me a fucking break.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

+1

If a FSU player said this, then it's a story.

Otherwise, it's just random Internet BS which doesn't deserve any more attention that the local KKK chapter.

Draft saved Draft deleted