1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida State beat writer (Warchant.com)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ira_Schoffel, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Hey folks ... we have a job opening in beautiful Tallahassee, Fla. If you're interested or know anyone who might be, please drop me a note or pass it along. If there's anything I didn't cover, feel free to send me a message or email with questions. Thanks a lot. And thanks to SJ for providing the space.

Warchant.com, the leading independent website devoted to covering Florida State athletics, is hiring a full-time beat writer to help take our coverage of FSU football, men’s basketball and baseball to the next level.

Who we are

Approaching our 20th anniversary, we are one of the largest sites on the Rivals.com network and still growing. Our founder/publisher is an industry leader in college sports and recruiting coverage, and our managing editor is the former sports editor and lead columnist of the Tallahassee Democrat. With the largest and most experienced staff in the market – this fall, we will have four full-time staffers involved in our Florida State football coverage as well as a full-time recruiting analyst -- our mission is to provide thorough, original and compelling content on a variety of platforms.

Who you are

An intelligent and driven self-starter, you know when to stay with the pack and when to venture off the beaten path. You love cultivating sources and breaking news but also enjoy telling good stories. You’re comfortable with social media and interacting with subscribers on our message boards, and you’re also a team player who is committed to helping your colleagues and making Warchant.com the premier college team site in the country. Accuracy and fairness are important to you, and you understand why they’re essential to our success.

Where we go from here

We hope to have this position filled by early July, so if you have serious interest, please send your resume, cover letter and three to five writing samples to managing editor Ira Schoffel at ira@warchant.com as soon as possible. Beat writing experience is preferred, but all strong candidates will be considered. Salary is commensurate with experience.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. SP7988

SP7988 Member

What is the range of this salary? And is it enough to finance a move to Tallahassee?

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I was offered the job a few years back and it was a solid salary. Plenty enough to leave comfortable in Tallahassee, which is a pretty reasonable place to live.

Ira is a heck of a guy. Gene Williams is a good guy. Obviously there's no lack of news on the beat. The football program is successful and very polarizing, men's basketball tends to be a roller coaster, women's basketball is rising up among those second-tier programs not called UConn, baseball and softball are competitive, etc.

4. Floyd

Floyd Member

Will second what was said about Gene and Ira. Unlike many recruiting-oriented sites, you'll get a chance to work with an editor who knows his stuff on a beat with ample room to make your mark. And if you're young and single, Tally ain't too bad a place to be.

5. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Thanks Curmudgeon and Floyd for the kind words ...

And thanks to all those who have applied or shown interest. The response has been great, with plenty of attractive candidates. Sorry that I haven't responded to individual questions ... I've been out of town on a long-planned vacation. So other than quickly checking email here or there, I haven't been online much or had a chance to respond to any inquiries. Will be doing that over the next day or two and also will begin narrowing things down over the next week or so.

If you haven't applied yet and are interested, there's still a little time. If you have applied, I'll try to get some response to you in the next week. Thanks again for all the interest.

Ira

6. Ben Jones

Ben Jones New Member

I'm a bit late here, but I can answer questions about the position also. Email or PM me.

7. ped0003

ped0003 New Member

Any update on this one?

8. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Thanks again for all the interest in the position. We have made a hire ... it's Ryan S. Clark, who has been covering high schools and recruiting for the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale. We are very excited about bringing Ryan on board. I think ... hope ... I've emailed everyone else who applied. If you applied and did not get an email from me, I apologize. Best of luck to everyone who expressed interest.

Donny in his element and Runner like this.
  9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Wish I had seen this. Damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted