1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida receiver Chris Rainey arrested for aggravated stalking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Sep 14, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know, Alabama won the Fulmer Cup in 2007-08 and Georgia won in 2009-10.... Florida's got a good start for this season...

S-E-C! S-E-C!

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yankee fan,

As best I know, not everyone who gets arrested, or even convicted, is automatically thrown out of school. Where I went, they had a board that reviewed such matters and there were endless appeals available so it could take forever. What's more, it's a public university so I figure kicking people out would be even more difficult.

I don't know what the standard SHOULD be, but it needs to be the same for jocks and non-jocks.

As for Rainey being recruited, so what? Maybe the athletic department should more closely examine the kids it recruits, but that's an internal issue.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

As an alumni of the school in question, I don't care if he stays in school. In fact, I hope he's given that chance to turn it around in those respects. But playing football is a privilege and he should not have that privilege again while felony charges are pending and if he's convicted. Doesn't matter who it is or what happened, that should be the standard. Maybe there is a second chance to play with a traffic offense or misdemeanor, but not with felonies.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked the story today when Meyer was asked "What Rainey had to do to get back on the team."

"I DON'T KNOW" - Maybe Mr. Hand should write that response on the blackboard and underline it.

Suspended indefinitely means - Suspended until the Alabama game or until we determine we need him back.

Nice program.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Orlando Sentinel's Mike Bianchi brings out the hammer:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/os-bianchi-tim-tebow-florida-gators-20100916,0,6803108.column

6. Mizzougrad96

I've said this 100 times, but I'll say it again. Mike Bianchi is the best college football columnist in the country.

7. Mizzougrad96

http://twitpic.com/2oru7t

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Depending how you want to view it ( spin it) Meyer has a history of working with troubled players. ( better if they run a 4.3)
    His wife who is a physiologist works with a lot of these players as one person support group. I remember reading about a RB that Meyer had at Utah that was convicted auto theft. The kid did his time and Meyer and his wife stayed in touch, got the kid back in school and he ended up being starting RB. I believe it was that one story that has shaped Meyer's thinking on those type of kids.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, with 30 of his players arrested since then, perhaps Urban's way of thinking ain't working ...

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Depends on how you look at it. I think he realizes that some of kids he brings in are from troubled backgrounds and need a big safety net. He also accepts that some will fail. At least he is willing to give it a try and not cast them aside. Imagine some of it is benevolence and some it based on players skills.

11. Mizzougrad96

He accepts that some will fail, but as long as he keeps winning the way he has, very few will care.

Even with all these "Dirty 30" stories and whatnot, the bulk of the people who matter to Meyer, do not care and won't ever care, as long as he wins.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Boom, no coach is bringing these kids in to give them a chance to get an education. Meyer is bringing in thugs so he can win. If my school had two NC in the past four years and had 30 arrests I wouldn't care. Win at all costs but don't blow smoke up asses and act like the coach gives a shit about the "kids".

Draft saved Draft deleted