1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida receiver Chris Rainey arrested for aggravated stalking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Ahh, yeah... no one has suggested it shouldn't.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Urban Meyer thinks Chris Rainey should have made the threat to Jeremy Fowler.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Most media outlets in Florida are going with 30 arrests.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Why quibble? :)

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Florida was running up the score.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

30 in six years is a remarkable achievement.

We just need a double homicide to make it a cool 31.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wait a second. If you do that to Rainey, to be fair, you have have to do it to all the non-jocks on campus, too. Do you really think that on a campus of, say, 25,000 students, scholarship athletes are the only ones who engage in this? Does the university kick anyone who gets arrested out? Sometimes being an athlete means being held to a higher standard, rightly or wrongly.

Now, I'm not defending what he did, simply saying that he is neither the first nor the last and university administration has to handle this stuff in a uniform basis.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If a non-athlete did this, I would throw him off campus too. Why should they keep someone who threatens violence on campus?

At the very least, they'd be suspended & sent to anger management, etc.

But, scholarship athletes are different. They are recruited to campus. They don't apply, they're invited.

When I went to B.C., they didn't know shit about me. I took the SATs and sent in my transcript. If I turned out to be a psychopath, there was no way they could have known, and they could bear no responsibility for my (initial) actions.

Florida knew exactly who Chris Rainey is/was. They sought him out. They evaluated him any number of ways. They invited him onto their campus. He's only there because they wanted him there.

And, because he accepted that scholarship, he does have a responsibility to stay out of trouble.

These schools have a responsibility to all of their students. They have a responsibility to provide as safe a campus as possible.

There is no reason to keep someone who has threatened violence on campus. None. Get him out.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Between "know," "Fllorida" and "excepted," BC must be so proud. :D :D :D

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

To be fair, I didn't graduate.

Edit: OK, that was even worse than you realized. I also had a their/they're issue and had to change send to sent.

I should probably have a cup of coffee before I post.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I stopped reading after excepted. :D

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Maybe FAU can pick him up in time to open their newly expanded stadium. [/crossthread]

Draft saved Draft deleted