1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida receiver Chris Rainey arrested for aggravated stalking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

For those who want the school to "help" Rainey, did you think the same thing when Tom Osborne was letting Lawrence Phillips play?

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

So the girl wants the charges dropped and Florida OC Steve Addazio says Rainey is "not a part of our team right now."

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7019904724

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Does a university bear responsibility for its students?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_loco_parentis

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Can you imagine the pressure on a student to drop charges against an elite athlete in a college town (especially in the SEC) regardless of guilt?

I'll bet she got a few calls from boosters, that made her come to that decision.

Par for the course in Gainesville.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fixed.

6. Point of Order

I'll bet she didn't get a single call from any booster. I mean, I hate Florida as much as anybody, but that's pretty silly. Most prosecutors can probably count on one hand the number of times the victim in an incident like this has followed through with pressing charges.

Standard modus operandi here is that the girl feels guilty for calling the cops in the first place because, whether true or not, she "knows" the guy was "just blowing off steam" and "would never really" hurt her, so she drops the charges. Tempers cool, the guy apologies and promises he'll be more level-headed and they go on as normal until the next domestic incident. That's why many states have laws that require the DA to bring charges once an arrest has been made whether the victim decides to cooperate or not.

7. Mizzougrad96

"Time to die bitch!!!"

He sounds like a class act. I'm sure Florida will build a statue of him next to the Tebow plaque.

8. Mizzougrad96

27 arrests in six years?

Is that some kind of record or do the guys in Norman and Coral Gables have the all-time mark?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's an ongoing story in my neck of the woods. Non-athletic, but just the same . . .

Guy and girl exchange some text messages. Things get testy. Girl texts something about guy's dead brother (who had hanged himself a few months previously). Guy loses it and texts back, "You're dead!"

Next day, he kicks her head in with a steel-toed boot, scrambles her brain permanently, nearly kills her and is in jail for attempted murder.

So no, you cannot blow off threats like this as "blowing off steam" any more than you can blow off someone contemplating suicide.

10. Point of Order

You realize I'm not suggesting that any girl should blow off a threat like that, right? I'm only saying it happens all too often that victims refuse to press charges out of guilt, fear, or whatever.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Ask the family of the female UVA lacrosse player if it should be taken seriously.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I heard it all. I was across the street with my Wiffle Ball bat.

Draft saved Draft deleted