1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida receiver Chris Rainey arrested for aggravated stalking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only number anyone there cares about is how many national titles he has.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And the rest of us are looking at his finish in the Fulmer Cup.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Being an alcoholic isn't a felony. It may cause you to do things that are felonies, but it isn't a felony.

If I were arrested for aggravated stalking, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get a referral to the Employee Assistance Program.

4. Crash

Crash Active Member

Chris Rainey just earned himself about 100 more carries this season.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What's non-aggravated stalking? Repeatedly sending Candy Grams

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If the University cared about the safety of their student body at large, they'd make sure this person never set foot on the campus again.

They'd also make sure that the Athletic Department did a better job of vetting the players they offer scholarships to. I wouldn't want to send my child to a University that was actively recruiting criminals to share the campus with them.

And deskslave is right, again. There is no comparison to an employee with an alcohol problem who voluntarily seeks help from an employer.

Alcoholism is largely a victimless crime. (Yes, I know it could involve things like DUI and can be damaging to a family, but it doesn't usually effect co-workers.)

This person threatened to kill someone. Very different.

He also did not voluntarily seek help. We only know about this because he was arrested.

And, finally, he's not an employee. He was given the tremendous opportunity to receive a college education for free.

His responsibility is to maintain his grades to the degree that he remains eligible, to play football, and to not get arrested.

He's the one who didn't live up t his end of the bargain, not the University.

7. Crash

Crash Active Member

You're claim that alcoholism is a victimless crime aside, you're exactly right.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Read that Rainey sustained concussion last Saturday. They should cut his brain open. Maybe he has progressive generative disease.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Gainesville Sun actually broke the story.

10. Actually, he once traded an autograph FOR a jersey.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-155591691/lakeland-star-faces-fhsaa.html

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

My thoughts, exactly.
    This guy should be kicked out of the college.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If Rainey has shown a pattern of this kind of behavior, depression, ect., I would find it hard for the university to just shut him out, especially three years removed from Avery Atkins' suicide.

Draft saved Draft deleted