1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Primaries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's what you get for changing it, Mr. Draper.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As I've said a few times, I see Mitt's nomination this year as akin to had the Democrats nominated a flower-loving peace-child in 2004. Epic bad timing in the face of the zeitgeist.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A couple of things: If taxes were lower, people would have more money to invest. And, if you went through nearly anyone's spending, you'd find areas where you could save.

The key to investing is to make it a priority. You need to "pay yourself first". If you don't set aside money to invest, there won't be any left over, and that's true at a variety of income levels.

Then the idea that "working people" = "poor" drives me insane. Nobody likes the idea of categorizing all poor people as lazy slobs, but it's just as offensive to categorize rich people as winners of a "sperm lottery". Most "rich" people I know work their asses off.

To build a business, or get ahead in corporate America takes a lot of hard work, and a lot of hours.

To even begin a career as a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or investment banker, requires more hard work than most people are willing to put in.

And, to a large degree, outcomes are determined by what we put in.

Mitt Romney made $21M last year, without holding down an actual job.

But, the guy has an MBA and a JD from Harvard. He busted his but. He founded a mega-successful investment firm.

He's now reaping the rewards. What's wrong with that? The guy's an example of what's right with the country.

If my parents had used a guy like Mitt Romney as an example of why I should do better in school, it might have worked better. Education for its own sake is nice, but it's not a huge motivator of a 16-18 year old kid.

And, for those who are pushing their kids to get an athletic scholarship, well, Prince Fielder just signed a huge contract. He's in the prime of his career, and Mitt made as much as he will last year, just from his investments.

Maybe parents should push academics more.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

YF, you make it sound as if Romney would have no reward for his career if he had to pay higher taxes on his capital gains.

If you do so well that you can make millions of dollars a year living off the capital gains on your investments, THAT is reward. That's why you went to Harvard, etc., etc.

But it doesn't go to reason that that money he earns now should be taxed at a lower rate than the money he earned when he was still hands-on with a company and drawing an actual paycheck.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Your parents must have used Howard Schultz as your guiding star.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Nothing at all."

- George Romney, CEO, American Motors.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I thought a degree from Harvard made you a pointy-headed liberal elitist? I get so confused sometimes.

Then you'd think the Republicans would be more concerned about lowering taxes for people who don't already have a million dollars. But as those of us who aren't programmed to repeat talking points know, they're not interested in helping people become wealthy. They're interested in helping the wealthy become wealthier.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You're forgetting that Mittens was to the manor born. His family never had to worry about how to pay for education -- or for anything else. His family didn't sweat every price increase at the grocery store or the gas pump. Mittens, because of his family, had access to business connections most of the world would never get, no matter how people worked. If Mittens ever ran into a situation he, say, had a drug problem, or a minor criminal offense, he had the family's money to cushion the blow and help him out.

Mittens may well have worked hard, but he's also the winner of a sperm lottery. Meanwhile, there are also people who work their ass off at their jobs, or who are working their ass off in college, who show up at my church's homeless shelter.

My point is not that everything should be stripped from the Romney family and given to the poor. It's that we can't pretend somehow a child born to the Romney family and one born to another family are automatically starting with equal chances. And particularly the more expensive education becomes, the better the chance that the Romneys will pull even farther ahead.

Also, I find it highly laughable that any 16-to-18-year-old would be inspired to better because of the example of Mitt Fucking Romney. I'm sure the 40-plus percent school-lunch-assistance-eligible students in my son's high school can really relate to Romney's hardscrabble, bootstrappy story.

9. Boom_70

You are confusing Harvard undergrad degree with grad school degree.
    Idealism goes out the window when it's time to collect your trust fund.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It is an article of Republican faith that nobody is born on third base and everyone hit a triple.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

George didn't even graduate college -- something you and I can both relate too.

He instilled hard work and discipline in his son.

I'm not sure how much of a head start George gave Mitt. George W. Bush had investments from his uncle and his daddy's rich friends when he started his various oil drilling businesses. His college roommates (who had done very well) and others invested the majority of the money in his purchase of the Rangers.

Bill Bain hand picked Mitt to found Bain Capital, not because of who his dad was, but because he had proven himself.

So, what role does George play other than raising his son right?

12. Boom_70

But the Romney's drove their Rambler cross country.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted