1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Primaries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 21, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I presume the difference in percentage is owing to his significant charitable contributions ($7M to the church or something like that, I think) and the deduction from that.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The tax return officially designates Mittens as poster boy for everything that's wrong with America. He may as well start handing out 1 pct. t-shirts.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Did NJIT dump its wife on her death bed?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When you say "everything wrong" what do you mean?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

People who work shouldn't be paying a higher percentage of taxes of their income than people who sit on their ass and shuffle money back and forth.

6. Boom_70

That is probably why CM Punk has such a problem with
    John Laurinaitis

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That, and Laurinatis is a corporate stooge who once tried to install a dress code for the wrestlers that included them wearing suits whenever they were out in public. That failed miserably.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm saying Mitt will serve as a stark symbol of the corrupting influence money plays in our political-economic system. Working people don't like that they're paying a higher effective tax rate than people who make their money from investments.

9. Boom_70

What really matters are the real dollars and not percentage.
    Even working people get 15 % on their capital gains.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wow, who knew? All we have to do is get the tax code straightened out and everything will be right with America!

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tell you what, I watched almost the whole debate last night, and based on the debate Paul is the only person I would have considered. It's too bad his message is shrouded in racism and the absurdity of his followers.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Mitt Romney's problem is that a lot of people (even including Republicans) believe that the system in this country is rigged to the advantage of people like him and the disadvantage of the middle class. And Romney doesn't help that negative perception any by balking at releasing his tax returns, calling the $374K he earned from speaking fees a small amount of money, and by boasting that he forced Ted Kennedy to take out another mortgage on his home to beat Romney in their 1994 Senate race.

Voters may see Romney as the most competent of the GOP candidates on paper, but they question whether he really understands the plight of the middle class, let alone cares enough about it. And Romney doesn't give them reason to believe that the answer to those questions is Yes.

George W. Bush was plenty wealthy too, but he was much better at relating to working class voters than Romney.

Draft saved Draft deleted