1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida HS football game canceled due to "unrest in community"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Glades Central of Belle Glade was supposed to host Miami Northwestern in a non-district game, but the game was canceled, reportedly due to the threat of gang violence:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/highschoolbuzz/2013/10/25/football-glades-central-game-canceled-due-to-unrest-in-the-community/

For those who don't know, these are two legendary programs in Florida. Glades Central has won six state titles, Miami Northwestern five.

Glades Central has produced the likes of Fred Taylor, Santonio Holmes, Brad Banks and Louis Oliver over the years. Miami Northwestern has produced Teddy Bridgewater, Amari Cooper, Melvin Bratton and Marvin Jones, among others.

I guess they should err on the side of caution, but it's sad that it's come to this.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know about Belle Glade, but when you hear about something like that brewing with Miami Northwestern, you don't mess around.

That's the school that has (or at least had recently) Luther Campbell as a coach.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Instead, all of the gang members have verbally committed to play at UF.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It does look like something within the Belle Glade community, though. Sounds like a non-Palm Beachy portion of the Palm Beach coverage area.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Two traditional powerhouses. I'm surprised its being canceled. Perhaps, to curb the threat of violence, they could play it during the day at a neutral site.

6. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Maybe this sounds a bit naive, but why not just play as scheduled with a few more police officers on site?

7. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Belle Glade isn't quite as bad as Pahokee, but there's not much difference.

It's a really poor town that sits in the shadow of the dike that surrounds Lake Okeechobee. It is full of gang violence. There are a lot of shootings there and there was one last week. Maybe there's a gang rivalry with Miami Northwestern, maybe it's just gang stuff bubbling up in Belle Glade that would endanger any and everyone at a night time gathering.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Money probably is the issue. These are two very proud communities. If the men of these communities gave a damn, they could work together and provide security. They know who the troublemakers are.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Damn, it's gotten that bad? Sucks when you let the troublemakers win.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Are they worried about gang violence or vampire attacks? Bullets can be fired just as easily during the day as at night.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's true but you know how things happen at night.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Glades Central is a 2A school in Florida (or was a few years ago), but it has Texas 4A numbers. Florida has fewer tiny schools because of consolidated school districts, so the classifications have a narrow range.

Draft saved Draft deleted