1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida high schools cutting games to save money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 27, 2009.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I think cuts in games will become more common.

A friend of mine is an AD at one of the area high schools. He said he's told the coaches to expect cuts in games, travel, etc., and they act like it shouldn't apply to them.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Those teams are going to need someplace to play.

And it won't be on high school fields.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well I don't know.

Ten years ago yes, but the now, with the number of field turf and astro turf surfaces being put in at high school stadiums -- maybe.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My point is high schools aren't going to rent out their fields to non-high school football teams.

5. zagoshe

Why wouldn't they?

They rent out their gyms to non-high school basketball, volleyball and wrestling teams.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You can play 10 games a day in those sports and not tear up the gym. You play more than one or two games a week on football fields, you're going to incur larger maintenance costs. And it ain't cheap to turn on those lights for a few hours, either.

7. zagoshe

Yes, when they were grass fields.

These new turf fields can take a lot more wear and tear -- and the cost of the lights is figured into the cost of renting the place.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As for the original topic, my state did the same thing last year. Cut about a half-dozen games from every sport except football. The only coaches that seemed to get in a tizzy over it were the basketball coaches -- and that was because the state association made the decision in May, when their schedules had already been made. Everybody had to drop a few games, and wait and see if someone else dropped them, then hope they still had a full schedule. It was a big headache.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's not exactly new. I remember doing a story almost 20 years ago on that whole issue after some district in Pennsylvania instituted it (not saying they were the first to do so).

Given what's happening with school budgets, it wouldn't shock me in the least. I mean when the choice is laying off teachers or cutting classroom days vs. travel for the volleyball team, it's a no-brainer as a political issue.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bermuda grass fields are becoming very popular. They can take a ton of wear and keep bouncing back. I think they came up with a hybrid seed that could take the cold winters about 8-9 years ago, and because of this, you can play a lot more on the same field.

Not sure how far north these fields reach, but I think DC has a handful now.

Oh, lights for a field are nothing compared with heating or cooling a school on the weekend for an indoor activity.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If all sports go the club route, there will be a lot of kids who don't play simply because they can't afford it and/or it's no longer a popularity thing.

Did a piece on one pretty darn good defensive lineman last fall who only came out for football because his friends talked him into it. Made all conference and honorable mention all state as a senior. Has zero interest in playing in college (already got an academic scholarship). For him, football was a social outlet.

I wonder how many kids that is true for and what would happen if it ceases to be a school-sponsored sport. I know a lot of the elite kids play club in the off-season, but it's still a small percentage compared to the school teams, especially if you factor in the sub-varsity levels.

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

True that.. and folks renting gym these days have to pay those costs.

Draft saved Draft deleted