1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida high schools cutting games to save money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In response to the economic situation ...

Of course, these cuts don't apply to football.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/163218-fla-schools-to-cut-games-as-cost-saving-measure

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

They know which sport pays the bills, and which one doesn't.

There was talk earlier this year of a number of sports, golf, tennis and others where players would still be able to play USTA, Florida Junior Tour and the like, being eliminated completely by a few counties.

That, of course, may still come. Not every county school board allows every sport, with some that are FHSAA-sanctioned like boys volleyball, weightlifting or water polo, only being played in certain parts of the state by public schools.

We have one boys volleyball program in the county, a private school, which plays as an independent with no district affiliation, and as such no chance to win a state title.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

There are already districts in Florida going beyond that.. one just north of us has cut junior varsity sports effective in the fall, let go all assistant coaches except football and reduced games...the end is near.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Be interesting to see if other states follow suit.

Of course, it only makes sense, because we have fewer reporters to cover things.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'd laugh if that wasn't such a true statement in a close to home sort of way.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Here JV sports have already been eliminated, as have cheerleading and academic competitions (speech, drama, band, foreign language and what-not). Parents have been having everything from bake sales to charity test-drive programs at car dealerships¹ to make up the lost money.

This fall, most sports are going to be pay-to-play. Can't wait to see how <i>that</i> will go over.
    ¹We must emphasize that we are not making this up. I contributed to the the cause by test-driving a Scion xB.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm sure at some point, there will be a very big confrontation between the haves and the have nots about pay for play in public schools.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

because the only talented athletes in Florida worth developing are football players... f-tards

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Football players also don't have travel teams, club teams, AAU, legion ball or other options. If they want to play football they have to play for the high school.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yet.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Never.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My state has seen an explosion of seven on seven summer passing leagues and teams. For now, they are all high school teams, but I can see a point where it progresses to teams that draw the best players from a region to play. And then, with the right financial support, teams could become regular football teams.
    It isn't impossible that high school football becomes a thing of the past in some places.

Draft saved Draft deleted