1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Gators beat writer, Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

I'm not sure how much I'll be involved, if at all, in this hire as I'll be starting my new gig at CBSSports.com on July 16, but I have been asked to get this process started for whomever might replace me in Orlando/Fort Lauderdale.

Rachel George has done a tremendous job on this highly competitive beat and will be leaving soon for an exciting new opportunity. I could not be more proud of her. Our next UF beat writer will have big shoes to fill and a legacy to maintain (recent UF beat writers for us just during my time at the Sentinel include Rachel, Jeremy Fowler, Dave Curtis, Jeff Darlington and Joe Schad).

A note: DO NOT send your stuff to me. I'm not going to be here much longer. But I will be happy to answer questions as best I can.

University of Florida sports reporter, Orlando Sentinel

The Orlando Sentinel seeks a reporter to cover University of Florida sports. This reporter based in Gainesville will cover games; write breaking news, features, columns and enterprise stories; shoot and edit video; contribute to blogs, create and manage content for the web, promote the Orlando Sentinel's coverage through broadcast appearances as requested and use social media as a journalistic tool.

We're looking for a versatile, talented reporter who knows how to juggle multiple assignments and can conceive and execute good ideas on deadline. Strong digital skills are expected, including the ability to shoot, edit and appear on video and to assist in management of college content on our website. This job will require strong reporting and writing skills and an understanding of public records, courts and NCAA procedures and issues.

Send cover letter, resume, 5 clips and examples of your best digital work to:

Steve Ruiz
    Assistant Sports Editor
    Orlando Sentinel
    633 N. Orange Ave.
    Orlando, FL 32801

or, better, email your materials to sentinelgatorsbeat@gmail.com.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The last five people to have this job were either on NFL beats or at a national gig within three years.

3. She was the one of the hardest workers on the Florida beat. Congrats to Rachel, she definitely deserves it.

4. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

I can think of worse jobs than this one...

5. Mizzougrad96

The last five are now at
    ESPN
    NFL Network
    Sporting News
    St. Paul Pioneer Press
    USA Today

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Curtis is out of the biz, back working at his high school alma mater

7. Mizzougrad96

Really? Wow, that was fast... By choice or not?

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Bishop Hendricken! Rocco Baldelli's alma mater as well.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

10 years ago, this was my dream job.

10. bbb1978

bbb1978 Member

Congrats on the CBSSports.com job. I eventually want to work my way up to that level someday. Online and video being Generation Next and all.

11. bbb1978

bbb1978 Member

Make that Generation Now, but you catch my drift...

12. Dawgpound17

Dawgpound17 Member

Well this is currently my dream job haha

Draft saved Draft deleted