1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida food fight fiasco

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Dec 5, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're right -- in each and every one of those instances it is OK to resort to violence!

2. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Are you seriously calling the throwing of a friggin' sandwich a violent act? Come on now. When was the last time someone was seriously injured by a flying sandwich, even if it was a #9 with extra onions? I'll bet the arresting officer is a good ol' lifelong southern redneck who still has daddy's hood tucked away in a hope chest. There are lots of options for dealing with someone who tossed a sandwich. Arresting him seems like an extreme solution.

3. TheSportsPredictor

As long as we are clear on your position -- you advocate for the throwing of sandwiches to handle a situation which may or may not be tense.

4. Italian_Stallion

Actually, you're putting words in my mouth. What I have said is that the guy might have been provoked and that responding by throwing a sandwich shows a lot more restraint that hauling off and punching the guy. But this all presumes that the employee did something to provoke the response. I never said I advocating anything. I also don't advocate jaywalking. But I don't think someone should be arrested for doing it.

5. TheSportsPredictor

You're an idiot.

Now throw a sandwich.

6. Italian_Stallion

Yes, I'm an idiot. I'd hate to imagine what that makes you.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's important. Meatball sub or hot roast beef is a hell of a lot lot more serious than turkey or veggie.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

But he's a great man for athletes to model themselves after!

Jim Brown can eat my ass.

And I guess just walking away never crossed the dude's mind. Yeah, I'll just throw something at him instead, that will show 'em.

It doesn't have to be violent to be wrong. That's just making excuses for these punks, which enough people do anyway.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It was like 2:30 in the morning, according to the blog. I'm sure they were toasted. I have heard that sometimes you don't make your best decisions when drunk at 2:30 in the morning.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sigh. I'm officially old and out of touch.

I think throwing of sandwich as violence depends on the sandwich. I'm a plain roast beef, few condiments kind of guy so that chow is not much of a weapon. But if we're talking meatball with extra red sauce and all the other gooey extras, well them's fighting food.

11. Italian_Stallion

Must...not...make...tuna joke.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm SURE that this horrible sub shop employee muttered a racial slur under his breath at the HUGE football players in his store at 3 a.m.

You're ridiculous.

And why is this a big deal? Because nine other Florida players have been arrested this season, and that didn't stop these guys from being disorderly at a sub shop on the strip at 3 a.m.

These guys obviously do not fear Meyer's discipline, and why would they? Other programs have been fried in the media for less ... but all we're going to hear this week is how great a player and person Tim Tebow is, and Meyer will cry when talking about how much he loves him, and everyone will fall for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted