1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida doctor fired for anti-donuts sign

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Don't deviate here. We're talking a genetic cause for something.

Why is a genetic cause for being gay defended yet we want to rip on obese people who may be genetically inclined to be that way?

2. ScribePharisee

Doesn't matter. It's not exclusively about eating habits, it's about genetics.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

This thread keeps setting new standards for dumb.
    Obesity is a health risk.
    It is less attractive.
    You want to be fat, go for it.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have no fucking clue whether gay is genetically predisposed. So you can get your nut off about gays in a thread regarding fatties, it makes no difference to me.

5. ScribePharisee

Really, Poin? Really?

I thought the great argument for equal rights for them was based on that it's not a choice to be that way.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Obesity is caused by

EATING
    TOO
    MUCH
    FOOD

Nice to see that commercial businessmen can shut down a LICENSED PHYSICIAN from expressing his informed, educated opinion.

Do I eat doughnuts? Yeah, sometimes. I know they will make me fat if I eat too many.

If a doctor says "doughnuts will make you fat," I don't say, "STFU," I say, "I know, I'm only going to eat one."

And then if I go and eat six anyway and get fat, it's my own damn fault.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Scribe, is being gay a health risk?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've never argued the gay one way or another. I could not care less. You have your set of Rush talking points and you are going to wedge a gay argument into a thread about obesity regardless. I've just been indoctrinated into SportsJournalists.com hell.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm kind of curious to see an actual study on, say, mortality rates. Everything I googled was doctored-up garbage from nutjobs.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"I'm not fat, I just big-boned."

Obesity is a metabolic trait.

It's simple:

Eat more calories than you burn and you gain weight.

Burn more claories than you eat and you lose weight.

If you eat as much as you burn, your weight is stable.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sure, and spending less than you make will get you rich in the long run, but you still see lots of people on here complaining about the salaries of reporters.

Everybody burns at a different rate, and everybody needs to eat different amounts to feel reasonably full.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

What do reporters' saleries have to do with it? I don't see very many people in America that have any difficulty getting enough calories. Reporters end up spending more than they can earn, at times, on necessities.

A better analogy might be someone who has an unlimited income, who's running out of room to put all the stuff that he bought.

And, sometimes, if you have a weight problem, you just have to get used to feeling a little hungry for a while if you want to lose or maintain your weight.

Draft saved Draft deleted