1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flopping in the NBA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 22, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That is supposed to happen in soccer, but watching the last World Cup, it sure didn't.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Yes, in the NHL you can get an two-minute unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty for embellishing to draw a penalty. In that case it ends up being coincidental minors with both players in the box for two minutes.

Giving a foul to the flopper might stop that crap, but it also forces the ref to make yet another judgment call. I'd like to see some league experiment with it.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well, if the ref does not make the call, the defensive player might be at a slight disadvantage.

Tough to play D from your backside.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I honestly feel like it's one of these things that would work itself out pretty quickly. The only reason they do this now is because they're getting the call when they flop. If you stop doing that, or worse, hit them with a foul they'll adjust quickly. This isn't nearly as prevalent at the other levels and you'd get chewed out of you did it on the playground. It's a learned behavior and I think it can be unlearned pretty easily.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Numerous college basketball coaches teach their players how to flop and encourage it. I have no problem with a player drawing a charge if it's in the natural flow. But when a 6-11 guy hits the floor after minimal contact from a 6-0 guy, it's just bogus.

Draft saved Draft deleted