1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flooding in Boulder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Big Thompson Canyon, before and after ...

https://twitter.com/anthonywx/status/378855344732405761/photo/1/large

2. Inky_Wretch

Salina is pretty much gone.

http://videocenter.denverpost.com/services/player/bcpid1934477716001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAADe65VU~,G496cZ36A_XPjUPASyGuL-ELCbXVnCj4&bctid=2671275786001

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Big Thompson Flood in 1976 was isolated to that canyon and was incredible in its scope. This storm, I read, encompasses pretty much the equivalent of the state of Connecticut.

It's so massive, so widespread, and has affected so many people, it's really quite mind-boggling and hard to get your arms around it unless you've been there, know the area. The picture and video have been incredible, but to have seen it, it's quite heartbreaking.

4. MileHigh

Ugh.

11,700 people have been evacuated. 1,253 people are unaccounted for.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

And more than 17,000 structures damaged; 1,500 destroyed.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

MileHigh, I know nothing of this situation, so do you know if this blog carries any truth to it?

http://www.texassharon.com/2013/09/15/is-there-a-media-blackout-on-the-fracking-flood-disaster-in-colorado/

7. MileHigh

Honestly, I don't know. Lots of wild stuff out there. The biggest one earlier today: A fake photo going around of Red Rocks being flooded (definitely not true).

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I don't know either, but I did notice a good deal of oil streaks on one of the live shots near Greeley on Friday. But it was also close to farms so it could have been something off of someone's property -- a vehicle, storage, who knows.

9. Inky_Wretch

Missing count is up to 1,200. Obviously, the hope is most of them just can't access a phone to call their loved ones and are OK.

10. MileHigh

Yeah, I attribute that to it being near farmland. Lots of fertilizer and such. I could be wrong, but I would lean in that direction.

11. MileHigh

We can only hope. A lot of folks in the mountains have just been completely cut off and it could take days to account for everyone.

And more rain in the forecast.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But Matt Lauer will be there Monday! Is that not enough attention?

Draft saved Draft deleted