1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flooding in Boulder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 12, 2013.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Fresno State sent out a release Thursday saginy the game was on, but after reading MileHigh's post, I don't see how theg can play.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Buck. They're safe and in good shape in relation to some of their friends.

The city is paralyzed. I would not be surprised if they announce today the game is off.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Have the 24/7s been covering this at all? I've stuck with TWC for it.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Longmont is apparently split north-south by flooding, Estes Park has had some major issues, every bridge in Fort Collins is closed more or less splitting that city as well, I-25 is now closed from the north end of Fort Collins through to the north end of Denver, more than 40 miles. Specific problems are the Poudre and Big Thompson rivers flooding the interstate. The Big Thompson, which is usually a trickle by the time it gets to I-25 just south of Loveland, has completely swallowed the interstate and is a raging mess.

I went to CSU when the 1997 flood devastated Fort Collins and campus. It was awful and a huge mess. The difference between that and this is that was isolated to one area in one city. This is the entire Front Range. It is unbelievable. We've had more rain in a few days than we usually get total moisture in an entire year.

5. MileHigh

Here is the Big Thompson this morning at I-25. As Roscablo said, it's usually just a trickle there.

[​IMG]

1997 was pretty bad. The Big Thompson Flood in 1976 (144 dead) is still the standard-bearer, but again, this is affecting the entire Front Range.

Some amazing pictures here:

http://huff.to/19OXal5

It's so bad, New Belgium is closed today in Fort Collins.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is that a truck in that photo?

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

On the live news reporters there was a car that was being tossed around in it. There is a subdivision just to the east of there that I've heard rumors is underwater but I haven't seen anything confirmed.

8. MileHigh

Blew it up and I think it's an SUV in the median.

9. MileHigh

This is in Milliken -- on the east side of I-25 and probably about 10-15 miles from where the river comes out of the mountains.

[​IMG]

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Holy Balls mh.

Head for the hills.

11. MileHigh

No. Head as far east as possible. And more rain today and tomorrow. Again, this is epic stuff.

12. MileHigh

Here's another angle from the shot above of the Big Thompson flooding I-25 (with the SUV in the median).

I-25 is closed from Thornton to the Wyoming border (about 70 miles).

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted