1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flooding in Boulder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Pretty serious flooding going on in and around Boulder and it's supposed to rain thru the weekend.

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_24021527

But the CU-Fresno State game is still scheduled to be played but the CU campus is closed thru Friday so I suspect it will be cancelled.

http://www.dailycamera.com/sports/ci_24077329/cu-boulder-officials-saturdays-game-against-fresno-state?source=rss

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

flooding at 6,000 feet? Now that's some serious stuff.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Follow their lead to stay dry.

[​IMG]

I was a kid when this show introduced me to a place called Boulder.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Damn, what could be causing all this crazy weather?

5. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I grew up in Colorado and can't recall seeing or hearing about heavy rainfall like this. Usually it's very dry and people are wishing for more rain.

People in Boulder County have been told to not drive unless they have to -- and yet there's still some businesses that insist on being open, when said businesses aren't that essential to daily living or emergency situations.

I was told that, when you have heavy rainfall during the summer and early fall, you can expect heavy snowfall in the winter. Sounds like Colorado folks better prepare for some serious winter storms.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, since the polar ice sheet is expanding at record rates, we know it's not the lie known as Global Warming.

http://www.naturalnews.com/041981_global_warming_computer_models_cooling.html

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Figures that a town full of dirty hippies is freaking out about water.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They're too high to be freaking out.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's going to get worse. An editor of VeloNews tweeted this 41 minutes ago.

“@nealrogers: Damage photos from #boulderflood are only going to be worse tomorrow. Absolute sheets of rain coming down at the moment. No let up in sight.”

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just so happened I was out there for a quick trip this week (planned many weeks ago, got back tonight). And I was in Boulder last night (my sister lives there) and we were driving back from Fort Fun (where another sister lives).

Drove back as another cell was dumping more rain over the valley with three kids in the back, into a flooded major intersection and my sister is semi-freaking out, saying, "Holy shit, the drop-off over there is EIGHT feet!" (Relax, the kids were sleeping by this point.) And she was freaking out because at said intersection was an apartment complex where she had a friend ... in a garden-level unit. (Friend is fine, last I heard.)

And having been there the past three days, last night in Boulder and seeing everything going on today (and driving through it), and having lived in the area for nearly a decade, what was going on can be summed up in three words:

Ho. Lee. Fuk.

I am dead serious when I say this: This is much, Much, MUCH worse than any blizzard I went through out there. MUCH. It's not even close. It's epic for the area. My sister, whose house in Boulder had one sliver of a corner of her garage designated as a flood zone when they bought it three years ago, thus they had to get flood insurance, woke up this morning to a couple of inches of water in their basement. And couldn't get it stopped because it won't stop raining. They've been trying to pump out the water all day but it won't stop.

She put up a picture on Facebook of two of her kids in the basement in boots and umbrellas open that I'd put up here, but I won't expose them to you all (even though they are super adorable).

My last look showed Boulder got 9 inches of rain. With lots more on the way.

The equivalent? 9 FEET of snow.

Then this just crossed: A large surge of water, mud, rocks and debris, including cars, about 30 feet deep is heading down Fourmile Creek, according to an 11:10 p.m. call to Boulder County by a resident of Emerson Gulch. The flow is expected to reach Boulder Creek at about midnight.

I saw earlier it's a 100-year flood. Others have placed it at a 500-year flood. And Boulder is getting the attention, but others have it much worse.

Sister in Boulder has friends in Lyons who fear their house is gone. Lyons is cut off, has no clean water, no market, no sewer system and a lot of the town's residents in as much of high ground as possible. Other friends of hers have leaking roofs, 5 feet of water in basements, you name it.

It's the Rockies' Hurricane Sandy times 10 and minus the wind.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hope your loved ones stay safe, MileHigh. We've got family up there, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted