1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flooded town's paper behind paywall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by copperpot, Sep 15, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I was too early to college, before the threesome thing to really catch on. God damn it.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I don't know about you but I got into writing to cost kids scholarships.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I got in for the weekend water polo tournaments.

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I got into it for the free pizza. Fresh, hot, melted cheesy goodness.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Uh..do you not understand the whole point of a newspaper? It is a BUSINESS.

Community service is part of the mission, yes. But the overriding principle in the newspaper business is making money. Sorry, but that's a fact of life. I know they didn't teach you that in college, so you get a pass.

I work in this biz because I love what I do, but also because it pays my bills. The day it becomes a non-paying gig is the day I start work catching speeders as a state trooper. Have fun living in your mother's basement. If I were your parents, I'd turn your ass out of the house and make you get a job that earns a paycheck and puts a roof over your head.
    End cranky old man rant. The rant has ended, let us all go in peace.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I got into this business to protect kids from having their failures be accurately reported on.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you have clicked on a news site without paying at any point in your life, that's what you have done. We all do that, of course, the difference being that people who are older have a greater grasp of a world without the incessant demands for THIS MUST BE FREE AND THEN YOU WILL MAKE MONEY I DON'T KNOW BUT IT WILL EVENTUALLY BE THERE JUST TRUST US!!!

He isn't talking about whether you were (or still are) breastfed.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And he didn't excuse you.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You apparently don't care about money when you work a profession. So either you have some sort of other plan for basic living expenses lined up (sucking off someone's teat), or you are just another naive kid. Which is it?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Bleacher Report is always looking for new "talent".

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

No way this is real.

Unless Adam is so talented that he knows he will have a fistful of job offers to choose from upon graduation, in a business that, thanks to layoffs, has a greater and greater talent pool to choose from every week.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The pool here at the aquatic center is behind a pay wall. They won't let me swim for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted