1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Floating Ads. Anyone Else Have These?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 2, 2008.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Isn't that an oxymoron? :)

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Sticky" ads on our front (a tab) are becoming more popular. But we're charging $1200 a pop. Yet more businesses are willing to pony up.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Thanks, MG. My shop's next, I'm sure.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

We've had those floating ads. Absolute bitch to build around.

We've also had "flex-form" ads - imagine a clipped pic of somethign and the type runs unevenly around the border

once those get into the paper, lots of advertisers want them. a complete intrusion

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I remember those at one of my old places, too; I think the idea was really FOR the agate page.

My local South Florida paper has floating ads now. They also have a pyramid on some doubletrucks, but the one I got yesterday or the day before, they forgot to paginate the type around the ad, so more and more of the column was covered up the further down you read. Obviously extremely annoying for the reader, and I'm sure for people laying out the section, too.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A floating ad on agate or stock listings (as though anybody has those now) doesn't look too bad. Anything else, blech.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Judging by your screen name, you were dealing with Pacific time -- although maybe you were somewhere else at the time. When I dealt with the Camel Scoreboard, I was in a less advantageous time zone, and those were the days when pressrooms had rules like, "No replates on pages with spot color!" So we ended up having two scoreboard pages, a real one and the Camel Scoreboard with useless shit like PGA Money List and three months of boxing schedule.

I had to deal with floating ads (on facing pages) once. It sucks, but what can you do? There's no way to win that fight. Hopefully, the publisher decides it looks like crap. I have no idea if that's what happened, but we didn't see them again.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What you call useless shit, I once called manna, back when we had to do a sister paper's agate page for something like an 8 p.m. Eastern deadline. No telling how many times BOX--FightSked bailed my ass out.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Yeah, it was in SoCal and we were a PM back then. Had no trouble filling it. The only problem was when there was too much agate for the space. Hated having to slop the agate back inside.

Draft saved Draft deleted