1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Floating Ads. Anyone Else Have These?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Tonight, I found out our sports section will have "floating ads" twice a week, starting next week.

For those who, like me, had no idea what these are, it's an ad that SITS PRECISELY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PAGE! And you build your page around the ad.

This is the last straw. I'm getting out of this business as soon as I fucking can.

Anyone else have these, by the way? How fucking stupid and ugly are they?

2. I've never heard of that, and someone needs to get slapped.

Twice.

3. no worse than the stickers on the front.

or the l-shaped ads.

or the u-shaped ads in the middle of a double truck.

they all suck.

4. With the L-shaped ads and the U-shaped ads on trucks, you're not working AROUND them like you would an ad in the middle of the page. And stickers are stickers ... don't have to paginate around those.

That's pretty absurd. Hope they're paying a good price.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

We had a floating ad once several weeks ago. It was murder to build around.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

We picked up diagonal ads in Richmond before I left. So you were losing extra half-inches of copy in every column. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

7. which can be even more of an issue...because you don't know where the machine will decide to place the sticker. so it's usually covering up the top headline, or obscuring your lead photo, or doing some other havoc to the page, and you have *no* control over it. at least with the floating ads, you can try to work around it.

these pages with floating ads, are they otherwise open? i've never seen them in practice in any of the local papers.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

It would be a wide open page.

Basically, they move a quarter-page ad (maybe an eight-page ad) from the bottom left or bottom right corner of the page to the middle.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Floating ads suck.

You can argue all you want that it's revenue.

But it cheapens the product by creating an ass-ugly page that is difficult for readers to enjoy and hard for anyone to create something visually appealing.

Even worse is when they are oval and not rectangular.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

All I can think of is "Sinkers and Floaters."

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A long time ago, we had the Camel Scoreboard.
    It sold as a full-page ad on the back page and was actually a Camel cigarette ad that sort of framed the page. We filled up the middle with agate.
    If was F-ing pathetic, but the good news was, it earned full-page ad money and we still had about three-quarters of the page as usable space for the agate.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

More Media General brilliance. Understand that pain.

Floating ads are absolutely stupid. Either buy a full-page ad or simply place a traditional one. This sounds like another idiotic attempt by advertisers to fix something that isn't broken (that is, the way ads are done, not newspapers and their referring to massive layoffs in a weak attempt to cut their way back to fat profit margins).

Draft saved Draft deleted