1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flip flopper! McCain announces Troop Withdrawal Timeline

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by andyouare?, May 15, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Speaking only for myself, I have a fondness for cheeseburgers embedded in my DNA.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't mind this. The timeline that I think is awful is "we are leaving by _____ no matter what the situation is on the ground. This to me sounds like a prediction, but I assume, or at least hope that if he turns out to be wrong, that he would not withdraw.

As for the environment, he's been saying this the whole time. I wish he would flip flop, but he remains consistently wrong.

& Zag, I'm not excited about it for a number of reasons, but we could do alot worse, including any other choice we have. If you think that makes me a fraud, I guess I can live with that.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Are you saying that a setback in the short term (i.e. up in flames by McCain and the rest of the GOP in November) for your side that would likely produce long-term improvements within your party is a trade off you are willing to make?

So you'd rather have more of the same from a party that is increasingly becoming as big-government and liberal in so many ways as the other party you so claim to hate?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe being liberal is embedded in the DNA of Americans. Embrace your entitlements, zaggy.

5. By all means, I think the Republicans should return to their hardcore rightist roots for the next 10 elections or so. Really, I do.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that it would produce long term improvements. You fight the good fight, do your best & celebrate the small victories when you can. The next 8 years are too important to kiss off - this is not the 90s.

Oh, & I hate very few people - certainly not half the country.

7. zagoshe

I think you have it wrong -- hardcore rightist is not the same as conservative. And I'd argue that if the Republicans truly were for more efficient and smaller government which produced common sense solutions to problems and stopped trying to shove Jerry Falwell down the throats of the rest of the country, they'd kick Democrats out of Washington forever.

8. Yes, because every inch of poll data shows that Americans want "market-solutions" to things like health-care, and hate big-government programs like Social Security or the Federal Highway system.
    Yes, by all means, run on that platform. Go completely Harry Browne. Your great-granchildren will be losing elections.

9. zagoshe

Did I say completely Harry Browne?

Or did I say smaller and more efficient and common sense.....

Three words that I know are like fuck, shit and C U Next Tuesday in the liberal lexicon, but words -- and more importantly actions -- nonetheless that resonate with voters.

I know I know, we can't live without big daddy government playing the puppet master in your world and I feel sorry for you.

And the government wouldn't have to look for solutions to the "health care crisis" had the government not stuck its nose into health care and created said crisis in the first place.....

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If McCain is elected, I hope this happens. I love watching Prime Minister's questions on C-Span.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'd love to see this happen with ANY U.S. president. It would be fantastic. There's far too much insulation at times, even though the president has that daily representation to America and the media through the press secretary.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Once upon a time . . . but since Reagan, the GOP's played a different, for-keeps economic game, for the few, and screw the rest, while distracting the distractable with social baubles and shiny objects . . . the public's finally caught on,
    and while I agree the November general will likely be superficially close, the
    narrow/precise Rove equation which gave us Fredo twice is broken, and not to be revived anytime soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted