1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flip flopper! McCain announces Troop Withdrawal Timeline

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by andyouare?, May 15, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Honestly, this shows you how desperate a situation McCain is in right now. He knows he can't count on the far-right, and for him to ditch them like this so early in the race is a pretty bad sign for his prospects in November. I mean, come on. In the last week, McCain is announcing timetables for troop withdrawl and making big environmental speeches? What's going on here?

Look for McCain to pretty much keep moving to the middle, since polls right now show that Obama is beating him among independents.

Hopefully, this guarantees Bob Barr running as a third-party candidate, which will help Obama even more.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

That’s the thing. I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all. In fact, I’m a little leery of this “pull the troops out no matter what” plan.

To me, what’s stunning iabout McCain's plan is it goes against every Republican talking point for the last 5 years. A withdrawal timeline equals white flag of surrender, blah, blah, blah.

And to what spinning said, he’s already pissed off the Limbaugh wing of the party with his environmental and immigration views, and I can’t imagine this will play well.

I know a center-Left nominee can win (Clinton), but can a center-Right nominee win? I dunno.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Watching McCain's speech now.

The ultimate Washington insider is talking about why people dislike Washington. Amazing.

4. Besides, Americans are great! Rah!
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MEASURE_MCCAIN_ON_SACRIFICE?SITE=TNKIN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

How many million Russians died between 1940-1945?
    Mallethead.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

McCain and his people are in full audible mode. They know they're losing to Obama among independents, so it's time to move left hard and quick. It's clear now what McCain's strategy is:

Mimic Obama and hope that people don't vote for the black guy.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This is the second time in a week McCain put his middle finger up to the conservatives. He gave a speech a few days ago about global warming and came off sounding like Al Gore.....

Any conservative or Republican that believes in the party's founding principles that still votes for McCain "because he is the lesser of two evils" is a FRAUD.

A loss, and a big one, by like 60 electoral votes, by McCain is the best thing that could for the Republican party.

I used to be a Republican, until the party was hijacked by a bunch of religious zealots and people who can't quite figure out that smaller, more efficient and cheaper government is not achieved by funding every pork project and war machine that comes down the pipe.....

7. Uh, in that environmental speech, McCain sounded like less of an idiot than Jim Imhofe.
    Key word there being "sounded like."
    Plan's still inadequate, and made up mostly of stuff he's already voted against.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Wow.

And zag, you got that Bob Barr bumber sticker on your car yet?

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It is in the mail -- Of course, I am still holding out hope that the revolution Ron Paul and his people are planning at the Republican convention takes place, but I'm thinking I'll have to settle for pulling the lever for yet another candidate whose destined to get about 1/2 of a percent of the vote.......

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The really funny thing about McCain's speech, by the way, is that he said a 2013 timetable for withdrawing troops will be possible because al Qaeda will have been defeated by then.

I'm sure it will be news to the thousands of troops in Iraq right now that they're fighting a war against al Qaeda.

11. Paul and his people can do some serious mischief in St. Paul this summer. ("St. Paul is Paul Country!") I'm less sure about the general election because of Barr's presence in the race, but, if Paul still has enough strength to shut down the Nevada state GOP convention even with the nominee decided months ago, there's more support than people think there is.
    2013?
    Why not 2019?
    2020?
    2525?
    If man is still alive, that is...

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Perhaps he meant to say we're fighting Al Fresco. Most of the combat goes on outdoors, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted