1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flint Michigan, the next Hinkley, California?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the difference here is that you have an appointed emergency manager making decisions focusing - with good reason - on the accounting ledger.

I would imagine in the normal course of things more thought and study would go into tapping into a polluted river as your drinking water source using existing and outdated infrastructure.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No. Your scenario is plausible only up to the point when experts told state officials there was a crisis and the state officials did everything in their power to stonewall and avoid the appropriate response for months on end while people got sick.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

"As usual, there are activists working every bit as hard to assign blame for this mess as working for a solution.

Democrat presidential candidate Bernie Sanders took the obvious route which many other members of his party and assorted liberal activists have done… blame the Governor and call for his resignation. The reason I say “obvious” in this context is that Michigan had been run by a Democrat (Jennifer Granholm) from 2003 until a Republican (Snyder) took over the Governor’s mansion, so why not just blame him, right? (The Mayor of Flint is a Democrat too, so we can’t be blaming him.)"

All before EPA comes up. It's also some great aggregation. That story credits what the Daily Caller "found out," which in turn is aggregated from a newspaper story.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah well before Granholm, Fatboy Engler was gov for 12 years, and the GOP has had control of the state legislature since the early 90s.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not saying this isn't political, but you should assign blame in that you find out each step of the way what went wrong or broke down so that people were getting toxic waste in their tap water.

If you had a screwup in the paper --,say the wrong headline and photo were placed with a story-- would you just run a correction or try to find out how it happened and how to avoid it happening again?

Also "found out" always means lifted from somewhere.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

But they needed ALEC to initiate the Ayn Randian macro that had been embedded in those Manchurian candidates running the show in Flint.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

You should do all those things. But if I see a link about some breaking news, and the story leads by working hard to assign the blame to one side and makes sure we know the shady "activists" are working toward one side, it tells me what this story is trying to tell me. And it's not trying to simply say the EPA knew.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Last I checked, the EPA director is a member of the Cabinet.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Apparently the "utopia" of the left includes Republicans being blamed for not fixing all the things Democrats fuck up.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yes, there it is.

OBAMA IS POISONING YOUR CHILDREN.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Obama still hasn't declared Flint a disaster area.

I'd like the pipes in my house replaced for free or using an interest-free loan, too.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted