1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flin Flon, Manitoba

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not going there and never plan to, but just in case somebody is going there, I thought I'd start a preemptive thread. Have at it with nightlife, restaurants, etc.

I'll start with this big ass leprechaun.

[​IMG]

It's Flintabby Flonatin!

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The most common Flin Flon joke:

Boss tells Gord that he's being transferred to Flin Flon.

Gord: Flin Flon?? The only things that come out of Flin Flon are hookers and hockey players!

Boss: My wife is from Flin Flon.

Gord: Really? What team does she play for?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK. I was fascinated enough by a big statue of a leprechaun in Manitoba that I fired up the google. The sucker was apparently designed by cartoonist Al Capp, who did Lil Abner.

Oh, and HC, Flin Flon, according to what I just read on Wikipedia, is also known for its choice medical marijuana.

4. Bubbler

Great. You can get high there. How 'bout dealing with the munchies? Restaurants?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Players in the Western Hockey League hated going there. The long bus ride was the good part

Flyer fans are wusses in comparison.

Bobby Clarke played there. All you need to know.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mr. Google says there's a place called the Hong Kong Restaurant and Take Out.

It's probably a fancy sit-down restaurant with paper napkins

7. The Big Ragu

OK. Again from the google:

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm from deep in the hearta' and am used to long trips, but holy hell.

Flin Flon is about as far north as you can go in Canada and still be in civilization. Better take a pit stop in Swan River — you got about 400 more km to go.

9. The Big Ragu

As bad as this place is starting to sound, to be fair, you have to keep in mind that every country has that one armpit of a city that everyone makes fun of. In Canada, it's Flin Flon. Here, in the United States, it's Flin Flon.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Flin Flon is Manitoba's ninth-largest city!

Another weird feature: The provincial border takes a jog at Flin Flon, so you actually drive south into Saskatchewan from there.

11. Bubbler

[​IMG]

I think this Flin Flon copper smelter is where John Carpenter did the primary shooting for the remake of The Thing. If it wasn't, it should have been.

Flin Flon. Where the hearty folks from Churchill, Manitoba go south for the winter.

[​IMG]

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not only did he play there......he was born and raised there.

The Flin Flon Bombers have pretty much always played in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League because it's geographically closer to the teams in that circuit.

Draft saved Draft deleted