1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flim fam biff bam, H1N1 by damn!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Crash

Crash Active Member

Re: Riff ram biff bam H1N1 by damn!

I took it as Scribe asking if the NCAA should postpone the game. I don't think the NCAA is going to postpone a game for a dozen players, but I could be wrong.

Obviously, Ole Miss needs to take necessary precautions, though. I didn't mean to imply that this should be taken lightly at all. It shouldn't. It's pure hell.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought it was Flin Flon slippity slap.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

A few guys on the team I cover have been out most of the week with flu-like symptoms, and the trainers are basically assuming they have H1N1 even though there hasn't been a positive test. That means they aren't going to class and are being isolated from their teammates, roommates and other students.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just a hypothetical here, and it involves a LOT of ifs so please bear with me.
    Say Ole Miss gets to next Tuesday and a lot of its players are still sick. Out of 80-odd players, let's say 30 or 40 have the flu (including a bunch of starters) and the team is in no shape to prepare or play a football game on Saturday against Southeastern Louisiana. It's an FCS school, there's a conference game the following week ... there's just more reasons not to play than there are TO play.
    So Ole Miss decides to cancel the game. More than likely, Southeastern wouldn't press the issue. But would it go in the books as a forfeit? Ole Miss doesn't have another bye week and other than money there's no reason to make it up.
    If it does go as a forfeit, and Ole Miss ends up winning 10, 11 or 12 games, how would that affect their BCS ranking? Would it be held against them? Would voters hold that loss against them?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It would go down as a cancelled game, not a forfeit.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

One of our city high schools had to cancel volleyball last Friday because several players were sick, two of them confirmed with H1N1. That school's football team also had several players ailing, but they were all expected to suit up. Then the football game was canceled because of lightning. The whole damn campus could have taken the day off and nothing would have changed.

7. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Flim (phlegm) and H1N1 was too much in one thread. So I avoided it.

8. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Sure they would. It's a guarantee game: surely, they won't get nearly as much money if Ole Miss backs out on the game. I would have to think a Louisiana directional school needs the money, just like most FCS programs.

Not to mention, the travel arrangements that SE Louisiana made go right down the drain. So yeah, it's a bitch.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Canceling travel arrangements won't be all that big a deal for SLU, because I'm reasonably certain they're planning to bus from Hammond to Oxford.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd venture a guess that there's some sort of provision in the contract to deal with an issue like that. What if there was a hurricane or other natural disaster that forced the game to be canceled?
    Ole Miss would have to pony up some cash, most likely. Maybe a percentage of the guarantee and another game at the earliest opportunity. Southeastern wouldn't go home empty handed.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I got yer slap...

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

At least there is a cure for the clap.

Draft saved Draft deleted