1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flight to NY question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flip Wilson, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

If I'm flying into New York to go to a Yankees game, which is my best choice of airport? LaGuardia? JFK? Something else?

Thanks for the help.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Where are you staying? Are we just talking about going directly from the airport to the ballpark? If so, it's LGA.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which one is cheapest? And by how much?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I prefer JFK, but there's really no rhyme or reason to that. Heading there in about 45 minutes actually. :D

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

If my plan works, a buddy and I will fly in the day of a night game, bum around, go to the game (it'll end around 10 or so), have dinner -- that'll take us to midnight, and then have to be at the airport at 4 for a 6 a.m. flight home. 24 hours in the city, no hotel needed.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't know what the transportation is like from JFK, but there is no subway running to LGA. Taking a bus is unwieldy because you'll have to go to the Port Authority, which is at the lower tip of Manhattan. You'll probably have to hitch a cab to Shea, take the subway to Penn Station (which I believe takes over an hour) and go from there.

My guess is that you should avoid LGA.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

From JFK, you can take the Airtrain for $5 that will take you to Jamaica Station. From there, you jump on the subway.

8. Depending on what time you want to leave, you could also fly into Newark. Take the train into Grand Central right from Newark airport and then take the subway to wherever you need to. Did that 2 years ago when I went to NYC to visit my bf's mother while she was here on business. Not a bad travel time.

9. I can't compare Newark to JFK or LGA. I'm sure that either one of those is better. I can only speak from when I flew in. I had no problems whatsoever flying in or out of there. To each his own.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Newark was a godsend in 1993.

Got last-minute tickets to World Series. Fares for flights to Philly on short notice were $700. Flew into Newark for about $230.

11. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Actually, the train will take you right into Penn Station from Newark, not Grand Central.

But from Penn Station you can walk a block east and pick up the B or D train (B weekdays only) right to Yankee Stadium.

They now have a monorail from the Newark terminal to the train station, so you can get from the terminal to the stadium by taking three trains.

That's what I would do.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Um, Port Authority is not in Lower Manhattan. It's in midtown.

There are shuttles for like $12 each way that go from LaGuardia into midtown - there's a stop near Grand Central and a stop near Port Authority. I'm having a brain freeze, but I think it's called New York Shuttle Service. Or there's the M60 bus for $2 into Manhattan and you can then take the subway anywhere. More info here: http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/airport.htm

LGA is the closest to Manhattan, so it's probably the most expensive one to fly into.

Draft saved Draft deleted