1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fleury is no poster boy for fighting abuse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gehrig, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I was with Hickey right up until he referred to Fleury - a victim - as an enabler of Graham James. That was over the line for me and I think without that conclusion I'd give him a pass on this.

With it, Hickey should be ashamed of himself.

Believe me, I'm no fan of Fleury. I think he's still deeply troubled and thinks that by exposing everything he's been through, the publicity he's addicted to will somehow solve his problems. But to attempt to take some guilt away from a pedofile and put it on the hands of one of his victims is atrocious.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Victim or not, Fleury was a grown man who, knowing what James was, made a decision to help install James as the coach and general manager of a junior hockey team. He put scores of children at risk of abuse. That's enabling, in my opinion.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A (kind of) rebuttal.

www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Kennedy+abuse+hands+Graham+James+fallout+beyond+expected/5861821/story.html

Draft saved Draft deleted