1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fleury is no poster boy for fighting abuse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gehrig, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So a victim can't question the inefficiencies of the legal system unless his own relationship to his rapist is morally and practically uncomplicated.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm imagining this column being written, hypothetically, about one of the Penn State kids if they had happened to grow up to become a star linebacker later.

Yeah, Fleury became a star and inexplicably had business dealings with the guy.

But to blame a victim for not turning in his abuser? I can't get on board with that, for any reason.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's about 30 miles past what Hickey wrote. But you know that.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Actually it seems to be what you're both saying: Since Fleury didn't speak up then, he shouldn't question authority now.

And neither of you seem very interested in making any kind of allowance for the terribly warped relationship a child victim might have with their adult rapist as both grow older. Or for the depth and breadth of Fleury's self-medication during the years in question.

Hickey's point seems to be that Fleury is an insufficient hero - for Hickey.

5. imjustagirl

There is an allowance. My issue with Fleury is he didn't come forward when the charges came out, but only when he had a book to sell.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This.

They people were abused by a person they loved and trusted. That's how these abusers are successful at it.

It's not like he grabbed a kid in a dark alley.

So, obviously, you are going to struggle to come to terms with what happened when you were young.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do you really believe it is that simple, that it is all about a book?

8. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Epic fail by Hickey. A stilted implication that Fleury is the villain simply by declining that forum.

9. imjustagirl

For Fleury? Yes.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Having just finished Steve Simmons book about Mike Danton, I'm reminded again that expecting logical behaviour from abuse victims is foolish. The amount of shame and pain these people live with, the effort to just get through a day, they deserve a medal for dealing with it all, whether it's on your timetable or not.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

What she said.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well said.

Draft saved Draft deleted