1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fleury is no poster boy for fighting abuse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gehrig, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I apologize if this has been posted already, or if it's in the wrong section.

I just wanted to know your thoughts on this article by Pat Hickey.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Fleury+poster+fighting+abuse/5849699/story.html

Fair or foul in your opinion? Also, Fleury, and a lot of other people want Hickey to get fired over this article. Do you believe he should get fired?

Thoughts?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think he's right.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The whole column proceeds from a false premise. I.e.,

But if we have to find a poster boy for abuse, we can do better than Theoren Fleury.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Calls for his firing? Really? Why? For having an opinion, and backing it up?

He's a columnist. Isn't that what they do? People are free to agree or disagree.

Here's Hickey's followup:
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/been+accused+blaming+victim+Hickey/5853758/story.html

"On his website Monday night, Fleury called for me to be fired.

"On Tuesday, Michael Landsberg asked me if I was willing to appear with Fleury on TSN’s Off The Record.

"I agreed. Fleury declined"

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What would the fallout have been if Hickey had written that by not testifying in court, rape victims enable rape?

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Column shows a fundamental misunderstanding of, well, everything.

7. imjustagirl

What he said was that Fleury loses the right to question the decision to offer bail, thereby setting James free, when Fleury wasn't as worried about James being free when they were co-owning a team and he wasn't coming forward until he had a book.

8. exposbabe

exposbabe New Member

Would love to comment. Unfortunately he's one of my colleagues.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Oh, I know what he said and why he said it. I asked a different question.

Because Hickey also calls Fleury an enabler.

And again, the false premise:

". . .if we have to find a poster boy . . ."

10. imjustagirl

Which I took as saying there doesn't have to be one. But if people want to start anointing someone, Theo ain't the way to go.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So because a victim of rape doesn't rise to meet a hypothetical moral threshold proposed by a sports columnist, he should keep his mouth shut?

12. imjustagirl

No. He should preach about the evils from every mountaintop.

But he shouldn't question a man being let free when he had business dealings with him for years after and helped keep him free himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted