1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

fleas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Aug 27, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

my puppy dog has been attacked by fleas and had always heard frontline was the best product available. but when i went to petmeds.com to order some i find bad review after bad review. according to the customer reviews, seems either they've changed the formula or fleas have developed a resistance. anyone else using frontline and having this problem? any other products that might me better? my little buddy is miserable and needs your help.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

First, burn everything you own. You never get rid of fleas. They're nasty bastards. You best get yourself, your dog and anything else alive out of there for a full day and set off top-quality flea bombs. Don't forget your fish tanks. We did once. It was ugly.

Go to the vet and get a Sentinel. Heartworms, ticks, fleas. One pill a month, never an issue with the bugs. F Frontline. Stay away. We haven't dealt with fleas in about 20 years, thanks to Sentinel.
    Oh, find a good flea dip and dip the pup in there.

May have to treat your yard, too, but we stopped doing that when we went to Sentinel.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Rented a joint once that was a total flea-trap. Like Moddy said, bug bomb the shit out of that place.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Bug bombs like everybody else said.

Also, while you're bug bombing your place take your dog in to have it treated (flea shampoo, dip, etc.). The Sentinel can take a few days to work, allowing the fleas to reinfest your apartment, house, whatever.

My dog-owning family members swear by Sentinel.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

:) :)

Flea infestations suck, but take the pets (and ankle-bitten people) away from the source and the fleas will die on their own in 7-10 days.

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

About flea bombing. Always do it once, wait 3-4 days and do it again to get the eggs, or you're infested again.

Do it twice or you're not done.

And we use Frontline and it works pretty well still. Maybe we still have the original stuff?

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

8. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I went through a horrible flea experience with my cat a couple years back.

The thing with Frontline is that is doesn't kill the fleas that are already there. It prevents future eggs from hatching. So buying it after the fact is useless. Like somebody else touched on, the eggs work in cycles and there is a particular stage of the cycle where NOTHING can kill it. That's why you need to bomb, wait a few days for those eggs in the immune stage to enter the more vulnerable stage and then bomb again. I had countless conversations with my vet about this.

If you're good about putting on Frontline every month, it works great. I've been doing that ever since and haven't had any problems.

One thing is for sure, having fleas in your house is a MISERABLE experience.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My wife pays like $20 a month or something like that for some oil-like drops she places between the shoulders of the dogs.

She buys it online, and I have never seen a flea on one of our dogs.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Get your hands on some diazinon for the yard.

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I get it. Kudos on the awesome pull.

"I know the chunky who ate these Chunkys."

12. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Thanks. ;)

Aside from that, I appreciate all the serious responses here. We're in the process of picking out Winston's flea & heartworm meds.

We were told that Interceptor is the best heartworm stuff & K-9 Advantix for fleas. However, the Advantix is toxic to cats, which won't work in our house. Time for some more research...

Draft saved Draft deleted