1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flash's all-star team

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Dec 28, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've had three definite, and possibly four concussions in my lifetime, my most recent one last month. I was knocked out cold playing basketball. I got a step on the guy covering me, went to the basket, got up in the air, and took a hit from the help side by a guy who used to play safety in college. I hit the floor head first. Spent the day in the hospital. It took me about three weeks to recover; this board has been a great friend the last month; all I could do for a while, without feeling dizzy, was sit at desk. I was OK enough to work relatively quickly, but I couldn't do any exercise, without getting nauseas, for about three weeks. It got better for a few days, and then started getting worse. So I saw a neurologist, who scared the shit out of me with tales of depression and memory loss.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Had one true concussion, and don't EVER want to go through that again. Took a bad-hop baseball straight to the eye while playing first base in high school. Low line drive hit with an aluminum bat off an 85 mph fastball ... hit the lip of the grass and came straight up ... I didn't stand a chance.

Migraine for a month -- not migraines, as in they popped up every day or couple of days, then went away before returning again -- I'm talking a 24/7 migraine for almost four weeks, without stop, before they finally receded.

My head felt like it was being pounded by those gorillas in "Congo", every fucking minute of every fucking day. Excruciating.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Mohammad Ali

Brett Lindros

Eric Lindros (after a couple more)

The list of people who've FUBARd themselves by refusing to slow down after concussions is long and rather sad.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Been there, done that. And believe me, it's no picnic. I'm not bragging. Moddy, I do appreciate your concern but I'm really just not ready to stop playing yet. The spirit of the athlete still burns too hot within me.

The lectures may end here.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'll attest to your memory loss and decreased neuron firing ability.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was going to ask if it's OK to sniff Flash yet, then I saw Dye'p's post and thought, heeeere we go ...

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

No need to worry. Ragu is still writhing at the edge of the track, trying to get the cinders out of his palms and his knees.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

*entering the party fashionable late with a couple bottles of Grey Goose ... slowly stumbling to the podium, testing the mic*

Today-ay-ay-ay, I consider myself-elf-elf-elf, the luckiest monkey-unkey-unkey-unkey, on SportsJournalists.com-om-om-om.

I'd like to thank-ank-ank, Flasher-er-er, for honouring this buckin' monkey-unkey-unkey, with MVP Honours-ors-ors-ors, on the first addition-ition-ition-ition of the Flash-ash-ash, all-star team-eam-eam.

*raising bottle to Flash* Here's-ere's-ere's to Flasher-asher-asher.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

BBAM, I'm going to assume you mean first edition. Unless she added you later.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Nah (on the small type). Even after a self-imposed three-month layoff (or however long it was), I think Moddy still dials all but the last number to Webby every time he sees one of my posts.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

You've seen it. That's all I wanted. 8)

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

oh yeah. Even those I felt like a late add being in the second graf ... way to bury the lede Flasher.

Draft saved Draft deleted