1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flashforward

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 24, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If she doesn't make it, that becomes a huge plot point---that a flashforward might be wrong.

Hmmm ... didn't a Jedi master say something about that?

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I was thinking last night as I was watching it that Flash Forward was ABC's "replacement" for Lost. This year's the last season for the island-dwellers, after all.

I assumed Mark was loaded in his flashforward, by the way he was talking, but admittedly there was a certain ambiguity to it.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

Wow. They went there.

I mean, holy shit.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, a nice left jab for free will there.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What exactly are you talking about?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

I'm trying to remain spoiler-free in case somebody DVR'd the episode or plans to watch it online.

7. mb

mb Active Member

Yeah, gonna be tough to explain that one without spoiling it. Would seem that at least one flashforward won't be coming true.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Wow. Wow. What a great episode.

The last few weeks, I've kind of been watching this show just because I'm already invested. Now, I'm actually intrigued.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Figures someone would die who wasn't supposed to, or would live who wasn't supposed to.

Had to have a game-changer, because stuff like British Special Agent Chick getting on a plane because her flashforward told her she would work on this case was indicative of people basically being slaves to their visions.

This really opens it up. And I'm glad they waited until two months in. V would have had this happen in the pilot.

10. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

They're off life support, story-wise. Still a very mediocre show: flat characters, bad dialogue, etc.

Really, a nihilistic, secret-password S&M dungeon was the best they could do with the existential drama of those who "know" they're destined to die soon? This whole show is a cliche.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I was absolutely floored while watching this. Nearly devastated.

I don't know why, really. It's a TV show, and it's six episodes in, so it's not like I have this deep emotional bond for these characters. But for Al to play the game and survive because he saw it in his flashforward, and then to jump off the building later on - that's quite a surprise. Maybe he did it with that guilt and hoped that it was an excuse to get it out of the way. I don't know. Still, that was crushing and painful to watch.

And for me, it completely overshadowed the guy's daughter returning at the end. What a mix of truths.

12. NDub

NDub Guest

Last week's episode with Waterbug taking the dive gave me the first "holy shit" moment of the season.

Then I got another "holy shit" moment when the dude's daughter was sitting in his kitchen.

This pretty much slaps destiny in the face. I go back to what Charlie Pace (Lost name, I think he's Simon on this show) said to the hot blonde on the train...

Imagine you've got a cat and a poison fish in a box. Cat eats fish, dies. Cat doesn't eat fish, lives. Quantum physics said until the box is opened to discover the cat's fate, both eventualities occur at the same time. For us, the cat is living or dead. The miracle of quantum mechanics – the observer gets to decide. But has the cat already decided? Open the box and see for yourself.

As we can see, the concept is great. But the characters are flat. I can't get into them. I don't care about them. Hell, I don't even know most of their names.

Draft saved Draft deleted